What's new
What's new

Hitachi SJ200

Kiwi_007

Aluminum
I have just purchased a Hitachi SJ200 to power a lathe. So far i have wired the single phase into it and the motor to it.

I have figured out how to get the forward and reverse to work using the programmable inputs but the Jog function is giving me a bit of a headache and so is the emergency stop, foot brake stop and end cover switch.

It appears that to get the Jog to work you have to depress the jog sw then fwd or rev for the motor to run in jog mode. Is this correct or do I need to reprogram some settings?

Also how do you get the E stop, brake and end cover switch to halt the motor and keep it stopped, does it need to have this circuit wired through relays to work correctly?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Well, the E-stop is normally open by default in 3 wire.

The way I'd set it up is 3 wire control. Most E-stops that are built into the machine are normally closed so they cut power to the start button when you push them in. That system can still be used by putting the e-stop on the common terminal going to the run button, it might also be a good idea to use that for your jog button so no matter what the motor can't start. Hook all the stops in series so if any one of them is activated the motor can't start. You can invert the logic for the E-stop, and a normally closed switch will work for you. This also assures if a wire is broken, or something comes disconnected, the machine will stop. I dunno how your cover switch and pedal are setup but if they're normally open, you may have to use a relay to invert them to work with the e-stop. For jog buttons, use a double pole single throw momentary pushbutton, and hook one pole to the desired direction input terminal, and the other to the jog input. If you're using existing buttons you may need to add a small power source, and use relays to get this stuff to work.

Some more details, and pictures of the machine you're trying to wire might help. Also what type of switches are used on the cover, jog, and brake pedal would be useful info. :cheers:

What I did

Thanks for the reply.

The lathe is similar to this one but here in New Zealand is 3 phase

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-x-40-Lathe/G0554

So what I did was wire 240v to the lathe input wiring box on U (phase), V (neutral) and earth to PE from there it goes through the machine isolating switch to the terminal strip in the control cabinet. I disconnected the wiring going from U, V and W on the terminal strip to the motor contactors.

From the U and V I connected into the 240v input on the transfromer and also from U V and PE connected to the input of the inverter. Then connected the output 3 phase from the inverter direct to the motor and disconnected the original wiring from the motor.

I removed the input and output U, V and W wires from the forward and reverse motor contactors, I connected the common control wire from the inverter to one side of both contactors and connected the inverter forward control wire to the other side of the forward contactor and the inverter reverse control wire to the other side of the reverse contactor.

Now instead of the motor forward and reverse contactor switching the 3 phase power to the motor they switch the control circuit for the inverter.

This way I didn't have to change any of the existing wiring for the end cover switch, brake switch, E-stop sw or Jog sw and all these functions work as they did before.

The only problem I have is a slight electrical high pitched whine/hum from the motor and when you stand on the brake the inverter logs "E-02" which is overcurrent when stopping. Is there a setting in the inverter I can change to remedy these problems?

Thanks

You're stopping the motor too fast.

You could set it to free run stop, assuming you're stopping the motor first. If you haven't hit the stop button first, it will overcurrent no matter what when you hit the brake. If it's doing it after you hit the stop button, setting it to free run stop should fix it. I don't have the inverter manual right here, but it should be pretty easy to figure out. :cheers:

Thanks for the reply.

The brake is set up so that it trips the contactor before the brake applies and I did try to apply the brake without actually applying the brake shoes to the pulley and it didn't bring up an error code so can only assume that perhaps it isn't set to free run to stop.

Thanks

Back