What's new
What's new

Help me build out a VF2

GisMo

Hot Rolled
Hey all,

We're thinking about getting a VF2YT and I need some help choosing what options I need and what is just bells and whistles.

The machine will be used for mostly prototypes and very short runs. Used not very often. It will cut all materials, AL, Steels, S/S, wood, plastic, brass, copper etc. We would like to fine details(hi RPM spindle) probably 3D contouring.

Right off the bat, I think High speed spindle(10k or 15k?), High speed machining, programmable air nozzle.(programmable coolant nozzle too?)

Here is what I am unsure about:
Chip conveyor,
all of the program/controller options(we already have a cam system)
gearboxes
any anything else I may have missed

I like the Side Mount TC, but don't think I could really justify it.

Thanks

I have a VF2 that I bought new in 2004. It is equipped with a 10k spindle, 1000ipm rapids, side mount tool changer, chip auger, and 4th axis. I'd go with at least the 10k spindle. I wish I had the high speed machining option. I don't do a lot of 3D, but when I do, the HSM would be nice. It can be added after purchase just by buying the code from the factory and entering it into the control. The auger is a must. Digging and cleaning chips out from the bottom of the machine sucks! I have a stick with a plastic paddle on it to scrape chips down the auger and it takes care of the rest. Most of the control options Haas offers I never use. I program with mastercam so I don't even know what half of them do. The side mount tool changer is great and wouldn't have a machine without it. Most of the time my tool carousel is close to full and the extra space is nice. Plus it gets your tools up and out of the machining area. I don't know if you can justify the 4th axis. It might be a good idea to have the machine pre-wired for it though. Some of Haas' value package pricing packages will get you most of the options you need. Happy shopping.

new haas

My list of options

30-hp, 10,000-rpm Spindle with vector drive; VF-1 thru VF-11, geared head, 40 Taper. Requires Gear Box Option.
Hass spindled are rather weak from rated hp bigger is better estecialy when you have prototypes to go out the door at the end of the day.

Chip Conveyor, auger-style
Scraping chips sucks. Makes it easier to clean the machine when going from 1 material to another we put the cash from scrap sales is to the company BBQ fund.

Programmable Coolant Nozzle, for 30 & 40-taper machines, 34 positions.
a wonderful thing no more sticky coolant hands.

Side-Mount Tool Changer, 40-taper, 40+1 tools for VF-3 thru VF-5/40 & VF-2YT
gives a much bigger work envelope bu is a little bit less reliable than an umbrella

Through spindle coolant, 300 PSI for VR-series spindles, VF-series 40 taper spindles, and all 15K spindles. Max 10,000 RPM with TSC enabled.
A absolute must insertable drills best friend.

Large-Capacity 95-Gallon Coolant Tank for VF-1 to VF-5 (standard on VF-6 through VF-11)
I hate filling coolant tanks.

probably 3D contouring.
Basic Chiller for VF-1 to VF-11.
a must for long running programs at high speed
don't worry about it if not going to run spindle at high rpm for more than 2-4 hrs straight.

Expanded Memory to 16MB
a must for big programs.

Hard Disk Drive (40GB) and Ethernet Interface. Compatible with Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP. Also works with server versions NT 4.0, 2000, and 2003 (contact service for special setting when using Windows 2003).
Even better for big programs.

High speed machining, programmable air nozzle.
yup and yep.

And don't listen to the sales guy they will negotiate on price and package things up for a better deal. Service and training to just hammer on them a while and they will belly up with a good deal. every sales man will do what he can to get the commission.
Good Luck and happy

New Haas

Get it with a probe. The time saved setting work offsets with a probe more than pays for itself in time saved especially for short runs, or irregularly shaped parts or castings where positioning against a stop in not practical. A job shop I worked at had them on their VF-2's and 4's and they really proved valuable.

I have a 2007 VF-1 with the following options:

10k spindle and gearbox
Air Blast
Renishaw OMP-40 touch probe and TS27R toolsetter (Really a must have for the work we do. I can't even begin to explain how much time it has saved me)
16 MB memory upgrade (This was a waste of $1,000 in retrospect. I can't see a need for it unless you do some serious contouring)
4th Axis wiring
HRT-210B 6" Rotary table
High Intensity Lighting (Get this, or rig your own. I can't see a damn thing inside my machine without these turned on. My building is poorly lit, and these lights make a world of difference. They get so hot that it's actually annoying to stand under, though)

Things I wish I got, but didn't due to being way over budget:
Chip Auger-You absolutely MUST have this. It is worth every penny of the ~$1900 price tag. Scraping chips out of the machine is a huge PITA, and they dam up around the coolant return drain.

Programmable Coolant-I've heard mixed opinions on here, but I've used it on other machines, and it'd be nice to have it on my machine for when I have a mix of short, medium, and long tools.

Side Mount Toolchanger-I really wish we had the money to go with this. If you get one of the value option packages, you can get something like HSM, SMTC, Auger, PCool, and a couple other goodies for way less than the sum of their prices. Unfortunately when we bought ours we were unable to get value option package pricing due to buying through the government. I've got about 17 tools that live permanently in my toolchanger. I'm constantly wishing that I could hold more tools. I do prototyping, and I can see 3 or 4 different parts in a day, all with very different tool requirements. It's a pain having to tear down tools I already have set up, just to replace them for a one off part. Having 40 tools would be incredibly useful. If I was buying a machine again, I would do anything I possibly could to spec my machine with the SMTC.

Back