What's new
What's new

Multi HP single phase rated VFD's now available

Forrest Addy

Diamond
Looks like the VFD people are looking around for potential markets.

Gold Star has 5, 10, 15, and 20 HP VFD's featuring 230 V single phase in. No de-rating.

I don't know the particulars but you with larger single motor machine tools on phase converters might be interested.

Search on eBay, using "phase converter vfd"

Hmm, wonder how good (or BAD) goldstar VFDs are?

I remember I had a goldstar VCR that was TOTAL JUNK, but that's consumer electronics stuff. Still, never even heard of a goldstar VFD, so I'd be curious as to whether it's a POS or not. Maybe somebody will post some feedback if they try one. I wonder if it's even the same company that made that crappy VCR? :cheers:

You can also get the larger sizes from Polyspede and from Hitachi. Driveswarehouse.com has the Polyspede drives but not the Hitachi. I suspect there is some connection between these two though. The Hitachi website was showing single phase input drives a few weeks back. i have not looked lately.

LG is an acronym for Lucky Goldstar, their original name. They are now called LS, short for LG Systems. In general, I don't think too highly of their drives group. They lied to me big time once back in the day when I was looking for a vector drive to brand-label. They tried to pawn off a V/Hz drive with automatic torque boost as a sensorless vector drive. They thought I wouldn't check under the hood I guess.

But Forrest, I think you meant SPEEDstar, not GOLDstar. I only see the Speedstar drives on eBay. Speedstar are the Polyspeed units mentioned by toolnut. Polyspeed used to be the exclusive brand-label in the US for the Hitachi drives, but they lost out when Hitachi finally decided to go it on their own. Now it looks as though Polyspeed is building these larger 1 phase input versions on their own. Not a bad strategy really, the VFD market is tough if you are not one of the big volume players now. But there is a sizable niche market for larger 1 phase input VFDs out there. A lot of farmers need them because the utilities don't want to run 3 phases out to one user 40 miles in the weeds. A company called Glenn Scott Drives used to do quite well servicing that market, but they got bought out by someone else and shut down. It appears that maybe Polyspeed has re-invented themselves to stay relevant. Find a niche and fill it...

The Polyspede Spedestar PC1-50 (200-240 volts, single-phase in, three-phase out) looks good, at $599 for a sensorless vector unit.

I agree about finding a need and filling it.

Three-phase is not available everywhere, and small operations like family farms out in the boonies are likely to be quite interested in single-phase drives of greater than the usual limit of 3 HP.

What I found interesting is the Spedestar is single-phase only.

Back