What's new
What's new

RPC connected to Bandaw, Bandsaw contactor flicking on and off.

PHULL

Aluminum
Ok, so I have created the Phase converter, and have it wired up for 220V Delta, and have connected it to a 3 phase bandaw I picked up recently, now when I plug everything together and start up the RPC, everything goes fine and the motor turns over at full speed. When I hit the start button on the Motor start switch I can hear it clicking ( since it's a old mechanical pendulum style contactor switch) and the motor on the handsaw wants to turn over but goes forward slowly a little bit then goes backwards a small amount. The motor rated in the bandsaw is 1/2 Hp.

for the record the bandsaw came out of a old workshop, the previous owner had proper three phase installed from the street 415V

(I need to rewire the bandsaw motor for 220V Delta don't i?)

Check the bandsaw coil voltage to be sure it is in the range of 220-240 volts.
If it is, then check how you have the coil connected. You MUST not connect any controls to the manufactured phase. You can locate this phase by measuring voltage from phase to ground. The line phase will measure about 120 volts while the manufactured phase will measure about 208 volts. Just make sure the bansaw contactor coil is connected to the single phase lines and not the manufactured phase. The contactor coil must be wired for 220-240 volts and the motor must be reconnected for 220-240 volts.

PHULL,

i did not notice you are located in Australia. My reply may not apply to your situation as I assumed you were on a 240 volt USA power system.

cheers, I have a solenoid I scrounged, keep you guys posted how it all goes:D if it doesn't, I'll shout my tools a VFD

Back