What's new
What's new

De-rate a Reliance GV3000 drive?

bobhead

Plastic
Does anyone know if the Reliance Electric GV3000 drives require de-rating if run off single phase? I came across a good deal on several at an auction recently. Will the 1HP rated drive power a 1HP motor (BP mill) if run off single phase? I have both 220 and 440 flavors.

bob

Bob,

As far as I know they do require derating. I have some and have derated them, however at one hp you may be OK. Just install it and see how it does. The worst that will happen is it will shut down due to high current. This is a very good drive as it can be set up for scalar, sensorless vector or full vector drive. You can not use the vector mode as you do not have feedback from the motor but you can sure use the sensorless vector mode.

Thanks Toolnut,

I found a manual that mentions de-rating when used above a certain altitude (cooling efficiency?) but no mention of even using 1P input. I've bench tested with 1P input (running a 3P motor with no load) so I know the drive works with 1P.

I have never found any mention of running the Reliance SP500 or the GV3000 on single phase but I know the 460 volt ones work. I have yet to hook up my 230 volt one. I do believe you will need to derate as they are not built for single phase operation and hence will not have the transistors sized for single phase amps nor will the capacitors be sized large enough to handle the single phase ripple. JRAEF is the vfd expert here so maybe he will chime in also. I have always derated mine since the manual does not specificly state the rating for single phase use. I do like the drives as they are industrial duty.
I am currently in the market for a 10 hp, GV3000, 460 volt. I have a 7-1/2 but need a 10 hp to be able to get full hp from a 5 hp motor. I have a Reliance 5 hp motor with the feedback tach. and I would like to put it on a lathe and see what it will do.

Toolnut,

Along with the drives, I got several Reliance Electric Vector motors with sensors (1, 2, 3, & 5 HP). I have not tried wiring up a drive/motor in vector mode yet but I would be interested in hearing more about your plans. What to you expect out of a vector driven lathe? More precise speed control? Other?

Bob

I have never found any mention of running the Reliance SP500 or the GV3000 on single phase but I know the 460 volt ones work. I have yet to hook up my 230 volt one. I do believe you will need to derate as they are not built for single phase operation and hence will not have the transistors sized for single phase amps nor will the capacitors be sized large enough to handle the single phase ripple. JRAEF is the vfd expert here so maybe he will chime in also. I have always derated mine since the manual does not specificly state the rating for single phase use. I do like the drives as they are industrial duty.
I am currently in the market for a 10 hp, GV3000, 460 volt. I have a 7-1/2 but need a 10 hp to be able to get full hp from a 5 hp motor. I have a Reliance 5 hp motor with the feedback tach. and I would like to put it on a lathe and see what it will do.

As far as I can remember (it's been a while now), the Reliance drives were never designed for 1 phase input, so they will need to be derated.

What you can expect from using the full closed loop vector mode on a lathe will maybe be higher torque and speed precision, so less cogging at low speeds, smoother cuts perhaps?. But probably not much of a point in doing that if it has open loop vector available. For what you do on a lathe, I doubt you would notice the difference.

Back