What's new
What's new

12 wire motor hook up - 20HP RPC 240 V

mitty38382

Hot Rolled
Hi Everyone

Long story short. 40HP Idler seemed a little too much for our 10Hp (Peak) CNC Mill. So I got a deal on a Leeson 20 HP Motor.

Tag Data is this:
The tag data is as follows
Catalog # G150007.60
Model C256T17FB6C
Hp - 20
Code G
SF - 1.15
Nom Eff 91.0
Volt - 208-230/460
Amps - 52 48.2 /24.1
RPM 1755
PF 85.2

Jacques sent me a new diagram for the RPC and I rewired the Start Caps into three groups of two (about 1800MFD total) and suggested that I leave the run caps alone until the motor is up and running so I can take voltage readings.

Motor is a 12 wire as title says. so the question and really a quest for confirmation is:

230 volt operation
L1 - T1, T6, T7, T12

L2 - T2, T4, T8, T10

L3 - T3, T5, T9, T11

Info page from motor builder is here:
http://www.leeson.com/leebiz/plsql/...l_pkg.lec_prod_feature_main?catnum=G150007.60

Regards

Frank S. in Tennessee

Normal for a 12-wire motor is:

( L1 - 1, 7 )

( L2 - 2, 8 )

( L3 - 3, 9 )

( 4, 5, 6 ) <-- Star Point #1

( 10, 11, 12 ) <-- Star Point #2

On a 9-wire motor, the second Star Point is internally connected, and is not externally available.

Frank
The motor connection that you have for this motor is called a wye start / delta run 12 leads. You want to use low voltage delta run.
L1= 1,6,7,12
L2= 2,4,8,10
L3= 3,5,9,11

Jacques

I did the connections as suggested and the motor sits and hums with no movement other than just jitters ever so slightly back and forth.
The connections are also the same as suggested by Leeson.
This is weird.

I put L1 is city pass through from contactor
I put L2 is wild leg - generated
I put L3 is city pass through from contactor
Even took a couple of run caps out - still no go

Frank S. in Tennessee

I also tried Peters suggestion and still no go just hums loudly

Could it be:
L1 - T1
L2 - T2
L3 - T3

T4 - T7 tied
T5 - T8 tied
T6 - T9 tied

T10, T11, T12 tied?

I don't know. Looking for answers. Too much run cap?

Frank S. in Tennessee

It runs!!!!!!!!!!!

I checked the motor and ohm'd out the leads to see if any were mis-labeled on my Hecho en Chino - Leeson motor - all looked good.

Sent pictures of panel to Jacques (MacPlus) and he said every thing look right. Checked all the wires to make sure everything had continuity - all good.

Standing there looking at the run caps and thought what if on start/run there is too much capacitance and the delta is unbalanced by a high voltage or some crap like that.

So I took a cap out of the circuit and hit the loud button and blamo!! Motor leaps to life in a text book .5 second start. How cool, how very cool:D

So I went ahead and loaded the bearings with grease while the motor was running. Checked all the voltages and A-B, A-C, C-B are all within 1 -2 volts. Life is good again in the man cave. Start up machine and runs fine. spindle runs up good.

So time for lunch and then button everything back up with the mastic to seal connections and a wrap of black tape and cover on. Then time to machine, since now I am a week and a half behind. I must now slay the time dragon.

Frank S. in Tennessee :cheers:

Back