What's new
What's new

VFD horse power question

clint1851

Plastic
Having trouble deciding which Teco VFD to get. I have a SB 10L with a 1hp motor,amp 4.7, volts 200, rpm 1725, phase 3 ,hz 60. I don't think it's the original motor,thanks in advance for any help. Paul

Having trouble deciding which Teco VFD to get.
Where is the trouble, motor HP and voltage are known, download and read the product brochure at a guess any 1 hp 240V drive will do. A 200V motor will work fine off a 240V drive, you just need to tell the drive that it is a 200V motor.

Pierce that is a new one on me I haven't seen a fixed f/V ratio drive, some of the old ones have very rudimentary F/V mappings but they could still be changed. That said I only ever see industrial drives.

The FM50 has 6 different maps to pick from but no "custom" map which is fine in the majority of cases. It is those 200 volt motors that seem to pop up all over that are the exception. I have a 200 volt motor that I run from 230. It runs a hit hotter than I would like but I don't care. If it dies tomorrow, I have a 230 volt replacement waiting.

Fm50

Hi guys, I don't really understand mapping that well im not that good with electronics. Looks like the Fm50 would be ok in my case though. Am i corect to assume this? Thanks for all the help, paul

Hi

Let me make a simple suggestion call a dealer. I get excellent answers From Dealers Electric in NJ ,Toll Free: 800-469-3110. I usually speak with Harold, but the other fellow who answers knows his stuff as well. Tell them what you have and they will tell you the best solution. If they do not know they will give TECO a call and get the info. Great folks to do business with, i have purchased three VFD's fro them a 1hp, 2hp and 15hp. The 15HP was for a rather unique application and they worked with TECO to get me the correct model for my installation.

Good Luck

Bob

Hi guys, I don't really understand mapping that well im not that good with electronics. Looks like the Fm50 would be ok in my case though. Am i corect to assume this? Thanks for all the help, paul

Paul,

Here are the facts surrounding the issue.

Fact 1 - You and I both have 200 volt 3ph motors. Assuming that your motor is like mine in that it is rated 200 volts at 60hz and has no 50 hz rating, that means that to do things "by the book", we both need a VFD that has the ability to adjust it's output voltage down from 230 volts.

Fact 2 - Operating a 200 volt motor at 230 volts is outside the plus or minus 10% guidelines.

Fact 3 - The FM 50 is a fixed voltage VFD which means that you can't tell it that you have a 200 volt motor.

So where does that leave you? You have to make a decision. You can

A) Run the motor at 230 with a cheaper VFD and risk possible damage to the motor

or

B) Spend additional money for an expensive VFD like the Teco 7300.

I chose solution "A". I run my motor from a FM50 which is a 230 volt VFD. The rules say that I am shortening the life of the motor since I am outside the 10% range for a motor. I don't care. The motor is there, it runs, and it doesn't overheat. If it dies tomorrow, I have a replacement 230 volt motor sitting waiting to go in. 3 phase motors seem to fall from the sky around here.

Since I don't know if your motor is a custom motor and other details, I recommended the Teco 7300.

Now if your motor is rated at 200 volts at 50hz then the FM50 is perfect and you are within operating guidelines. A 200V 50Hz rated motor will be almost perfect at 240V 60Hz.... 6/5 the voltage, and 6/5 the frequency. They will go at 6/5 the speed, that's all. To date all of the 200 volt motors I have seen are only rated at 60 hz.

Back