What's new
What's new

Motor Compatable with VFD?

Bob Johnson

Aluminum
I'd like to run a Weg 1 Horsepower 3 Phase Total Enclosed Fan Cooled
200 Volt "C" Faced D56C Frame Electric Motor for a ventillation fan with a VFD. The name plate voltage of "200" volts seems odd, and I'm not sure what a "D56C" frame is. I know what that a 56C is a face mount motor of a specific size, but what does the "D" indicate? My usual resource, the Grainger catalog did not include a reference to the "D".

Just as North America is a 120/240 area, Japan is a 100/200 area.

200 three-phase motors are almost exclusively found in Japan, or in Japanese machinery.

You may use a 240 VFD and then specify that the maximum motor voltage is 200. The VFD will simulate 200 three-phase for you.

"I have a few 200 volt American motors and they were used in places where 208 was available."

American made motors rated 200 were intended for the Japanese market, where 200 is the standard ... 50 Hz in Kanto (East), 60 Hz in Kansai (West).

Modern American motors are rated 208-240/480, but these are not intended for 200 applications. But, they are certainly OK on 208.

Besides the special 200 motors for Japan, the motor controls also have to be different in accordance with Japanese safety requirements.

"I have a few 200 volt American motors and they were used in places where 208 was available."

American made motors rated 200 were intended for the Japanese market, where 200 is the standard ... 50 Hz in Kanto (East), 60 Hz in Kansai (West).

That is very odd as the motors I have were clearly sold in the US for operation in the US. One motor that I have is still in the machine. The machine came out of a High School. Another machine that had a 200 volt motor on it came from a local Hospital. I could find no evidence that the motor had ever been changed and the motors have the tool manufacturers name on the tag.

I think there is another reason why 200 volt motors exist other than intent to sell overseas.

http://www.friesenelectric.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=580

Back