What's new
What's new

how do I wire this drum switch?

I have a baldor 184t frame, 3hp, 1ph motor that I want to control with a drum switch so I can reverse it. I hooked one like it up about 5 years ago But I can't remember what I did with the "j" wire. the motor says to wire it like this for std. rotation 1-8 to line 1, 4 to line 2 and J -5 together. for opp. rotation 1-5 to line 1 4 to line 2 and J-8 together. I'm using a drum switch with terminals 1-6 in forward 1-2 3-4 5-6 connect and in rev. 1-3 2-4 5-6 connect. The schematic for the switch says t5 to 1 L1 to 3,5 L2,t4 to 2 t8 to 4 t1 to 6 with no home for "j"...............Ideas anyone? Or if I look at it long enough I'll figure it out.

I try to wire them by the colors of the wires. three wires into the switch and three out that hook up to the motor in whatever combination they are needed. I always put the reds on top, white in the middle and black on the bottom terminals.
The whites are crossed. meaning the white wire from the cord with red / blk hooked to the right side, goes to the left side. The white wire from the other goes to the right side.
240 480 V same method.

Your motor nameplate tells exactly how to do it. You will notice that leads 5 and 8 are interchanged to reverse the motor. Just take an ohm meter and determine how the drum switch works and connect it so that the conditions of the motor nameplate are met. You may not be able to use the drum switch instructions and will have to determine how the drum switch works.

Here is a link to the Square D electrical symbol book and in it are diagrams of Square D drum switches. Yours may not be the same as all of them do not have the internal jumpers in the same place so this info may or may not apply to your application.

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Machine Control/0140CT9201.pdf

My drum sw. has 6 terminals, as you face the sw. with the lever up the terminals on the left starting at the top are numbered 1,3,5 on the right from the top down are numbered 2,4,6. I wired my motor like this, sw. term. 1 - t1, L1. sw. term. 2 - t5 sw. term. 3 - t8. sw. term. 4 - J sw. term. 5 - L2 sw. term. 6 - t4. L 1 and 2 are power in, 220v all "t" numbers and "j" are the motor leads. don't forget to ground the machine! If you are not sure of yourself you should have a electritian do it.

Back