What's new
What's new

Need serious pricing help for stainless job!!!

jprobst

Cast Iron
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a pretty large stainless steel job I'm bidding on. The sizes range from 5"x1"-1"x1". I have to face them to size. Here's the kicker. The lengths range from 3ft to 9 ft long. some of the edegs are beveled also.I know how I'm going to do it, but I'm having trouble on my pricing. On the 5" pieces I'm just gonna run a 5" dia face mill down the length in sections. Only need to go about .030" deep and then put some tapped holes, and counterbored holes in. Any ideas on what I should charge per inch? Should I even charge it that way? I have never bid on a job of this caliber and in stainless. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Oh, material is 316 s.s and I'll be doing it on a haas vf-2, 30 hp, no 2 speed gear box.

Pacific Stainless was hittin' up this area pretty hard a yr ago. They seemed to think they had good prices anyhow.

A web search should turn them up. They should be in your area.

---------------

...And when I die there'll be one child borned in this werld to carry on.
Ox

Do whatever works for you.

For me, I base price on time.

I make an estimate with a step by step plan of each operation and a time each will take. example;

Overall cost (gets divided by quanity)
Unload material- 20minutes
Setup and Program 2hrs
Package 3hr
Tooling $50
Est Scrap $50

Each piece cost
Saw Cut- 30 sec
Place in machine clear chips- 10 sec
Run time 60 sec
Debur 20sec
Check part 20 sec

140 seconds total x rate=

I then add them all up see if pricing seems in line then decide whether I want to charge for things like unloading, programming, fixtures etc. I may also consider not charging for deburrring and checking if it can be done while operator is at machine waiting for the cycle to end on the next piece.

Hope it helps

Back