What's new
What's new

Clausing DP- HELP?

JOHN1

Aluminum
Just bought a used Clausing 2274 2 speed with pwd and would like to change motor to a 220 volt vs single phase vs. the current 3 phase motor 220v/440v.

How do I do this in regards to the current 3 ph 2 speed motor?

Thanks
John

I think I got a good deal at $675.00 plus two chucks with it, no rust and has been in woodworking shop 10 years, it is 15 yrs old, any comments pls?

I do have a rotary phase convertor for my mill and lathe but like to have this on single unless it is to much cost/expense!

PM Sent

Hi John, I don't know whats up with the PM. :confused: I was offering to buy your 2 speed 3 phase motor if you find a suitable single phase replacement.

Thanks,
Forrest

"....would like to change motor to a 220 volt vs single phase..."

a single phase variable speed? I don't know of any single phase variable speed motors.

If it were my Clausing I would put a VFD on it. Even if it came with a single phase motor I would pull the 1ph motor off and put a 3 phase motor and a VFD on it. Then I would sell the single phase motor. There are lots of guys that don't understand or don't care about the advantages that a 3 ph motor and VFD has.

Put a VFD on that 3 phase and you have a single phase powered variable speed motor. If the 3 ph motor you have is a 1hp or less, then you can buy a VFD that not only converts single phase to 3 phase, it also changes 120 volts to 230 volts.

John, your PM still hasn't arrived. Apparently there is a lag in the system.

FWIW If I were in your shoes, I would go the VFD route too. It wouldn't cost much more than a single phase motor and would be more versatile.

Forrest

"If the 3 ph motor you have is a 1hp or less, then you can buy a VFD that not only converts single phase to 3 phase, it also changes 120 volts to 230 volts."

In the past, it was very tough to find a VFD larger than 3 HP which would run on single-phase without derating.

Then, there were two manufacturers which made 5 HP VFDs which which would run on single-phase without derating. These were special models which were in a 7.5 HP case, on account of the larger converter, but had a 5 HP inverter.

Now, there is Polyspede, and every Spedestar VFD it manufactures are single-phase. Not only that, but these are single-phase only. These all utilize a converter technology which is highly efficient, and presents nearly a unity power factor to the line. These are sensorless vector drives, which operate with high torque over a very broad range of speeds.

"
Now, there is Polyspede, and every Spedestar VFD ... These all utilize a converter technology which is highly efficient, and presents nearly a unity power factor to the line.

I don't know of a single VFD that does NOT present a near unity power factor to the line.

I can't see how you could make the rectifiers any more efficient than what they are already unless you spent oodles of money for very very expensive diodes just to gain another tiny improvement that while could be measured, is really insignificant in comparison to the motor losses.

Sorry but the whole description sounds like a marketing blurb and not any special feature that is unique to a single manufacturer but features that all VFD makers share.

The current motor is a baldor 3 phase 2 speed 220/440 volt.

I don't understand how a "VFD" works and would that be any advantage to me. I just want to be able to use 220v single phase.

Guess it is better to stay with the current motor and my rotary phase convertor.

Do ya'll (southern for "you all") agree?

Any input pls, also was this a good price ($675.00) as the press seems to be old but in great shape, have not run it yet.

John

"I don't know of a single VFD that does NOT present a near unity power factor to the line."

Really?

Standard "off line" diode-capacitor converters all present a poor power factor, and that is just about all VFDs.

"I can't see how you could make the rectifiers any more efficient than what they are already unless you spent oodles of money for very very expensive diodes just to gain another tiny improvement that while could be measured, is really insignificant in comparison to the motor losses."

You miss the entire point.

The Spedestar VFDs are using a "step up" converter, NOT an "off line" converter.

Almost all VFDs use an "off line" converter because these are the least cost, and require no active components nor control systems.

"Sorry but the whole description sounds like a marketing blurb and not any special feature that is unique to a single manufacturer but features that all VFD makers share."

You're certainly entitled to your opinion ... but, alas, it is an uninformed opinion.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion ... but, alas, it is an uninformed opinion.

And you are entitled to yours as well.....no matter what traits it may have.

I suggest that you call and talk to Dick or any of the other engineers at Teco/Westinghouse. His number is 1-800-279-4007. Ask his about PF and the relative efficiency of the rectifiers used in fractional HP drives.

You can also talk to Russ at Factorymation at 1-800-972-0436 regarding PF and fractional HP drives.

Then there are the laws restricting and dictating the power factor that a device can present to the line.

John,

I have a couple of the Clausing drill presses and a Wilton. All of them have the two speed motor, 3 phase. Changing one of these to single phase can be quite expensive as a two speed single phase motor will probably cost more than you paid for the drill press. The price you paid is a good price for a Clausing that needs no repairs. I usually get them cheaper and have to repair them. I normally have about $700 in one by the time I get all the problems fixed. These machines cost $2500+ when new so you can form your own opinion of the value of a used one. I am currently attempting to locate a replacement variable pitch pulley for the motor on one of mine and it is $575 from Clausing. You paid a little more than the price of the drive pulley.

If you have a RPC then hook up to it and start drilling.

If you do not then buy a VFD, single phase input and three phase output, 230 volts. You would wire the motor to the VFD and use the high speed only. When you slow the VFD to 50% speed you will have the same motor output you orginally had with the two speed motor. You must wire the VFD directly to the motor with no switches in between. You can rewire the original push buttons to control the VFD. You will not need the mag starter nor will you need the drum switch currently on the drill.

The motor is usually about 1-1/2 hp on the Clausing 20" drill presses.

Back