What's new
What's new

Multiple Motors to Wire, RPC

Elijah1844

Plastic
Hello I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me with a wiring question, or direct me to the information that I need. I have a homemade rotary phase converter that uses a 40 hp motor that I start with a pony motor. It worked fine, but I have bought a new saw that has two 20 hp motors and one 5 hp that runs the hydraulics.
Do I need to run separate wires from my disconnect box for each motor, or is it possible to run one wire to the first motor and then run a wire from the first to the second motor and so forth?
I am not very educated in electrical wiring so simple terms are best for me. Thanks for any help that anyone may offer.

"It worked fine, but I have bought a new saw that has two 20 hp motors and one 5 hp that runs the hydraulics. Do I need to run separate wires from my disconnect box for each motor, or is it possible to run one wire to the first motor and then run a wire from the first to the second motor and so forth?"

Many "multi-motor" machines are just that: machines which have multiple internal motors, but which are fed by, and are protected by, a single feeder for each such machine.

In such cases, it is expected, and required, that each machine provide internal protection for its component motors.

If this is the case, and I believe it is, then you would provide a single, suitably sized feeder to each machine, most probably with a fusible safety switch isolating your three-phase bus and each machine. Indeed, your machines may already have fusible safety switches associated with them.

Thank You for the reply. I received my new band resaw and my phase converter runs it fine with one wire. I look forward to learning more about electrical stuff in the future.

Back