What's new
What's new

Suggestions on a motor control books..

jminer99er

Plastic
Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you could recommend a good motor control book. (or few ) Something that is pretty much up to date, and easy to understand. (Like a beginners and intermediate book.)

Thanks
James

When I was making up a new electrical panel for an old Warner Swasey lathe, I found there were several, very good, online courses and a ton of technical references posted by the big electrical controls manufacturers.

Here is a link to just one site, follow the link and the click on "Customer Education " http://www.baldor.com/support/default.asp

"I was just wondering if any of you could recommend a good motor control book."

Rosenthal's is pretty good for just motors.

Richardson's, particularly the older edititions, is pretty good for the controls.

Thanks Jim!

Peter, I google "Rosenthal's + Electric Motor" and Rosenthal's Motor Control" and I got a used cars and stuff... Is there a title for both the books you mentioned? Thanks

I just bought this book on ebay, I went to Amazon, and it had a few decent reviews. All my text books are of electronics and nothing specific to motor controls.

Electrical Motor Conrols by Gary Rockis, Glen Mazur

Me bad! I was thinking of: "Electric Motor Repair: A Practical Book on the Winding, Repair, and Troubleshooting of A-C and D-C Motors and Controllers" by Robert Rosenberg, not Rosenthal.

Half.com has one of the older editions, which is perfectly fine for our situations, for just under $50, and the revised edition, with Hand as the second-named author, for just under $185.

This is an expensive book, in any edition, but it is the only one I know of which goes into every detail.

It is also unique in that it is spiral bound, with a left half which folds out to reveal the schematics, and a right half which folds out to reveal the supporting text.

Richardson's book, particularly the earlier editions, discuss RPCs in reasonably good detail. The later editions do not discuss RPCs at all.

The relevant pages of Richardson's book was uploaded to this site, somewhere.

Habermann's IEEE paper, too.

"I just went over to Amazon and bought a used copy from 1980 (hope that is old enough for the RPC info)"

Even if not, I uploaded the entire section on Richardson's type of RPC to this Forum a long time ago.

I only hope it didn't get lost in the transition to the new software.

Here is a mini-review from one Forum member who purchased the Richardson book:

"Today the mailman delivered a copy of Richardson's Rotating Electric Machinery and Transformer Technology (ISBN 0879097329). We have a nice blanket of new snow on the ground here in Minnesota, so, with the wife out shopping and a cat on my lap, I spent an enjoyable afternoon reading. I bought this based upon Peter's references to it in this thread and others, and am delighted by the contents. I started by skimming the last few chapters on polyphase motors, but with so many references to prior material I then went back to the beginning to read more thoroughly. So far I'm only part way through the second chapter, but thus far I find that Richardson has done a great job of laying things out in a way that I can readily grasp. If you are curious about WHY and HOW generators, motors and transformers work, this is a keeper.

"Great book reference Peter!"

I'm still looking for where the Richardson RPC chapter was posted.

It's only a few pages, but it gives performance data as a family of curves which is not available elsewhere.

I second Jraef's recomendation. Take a look at the Siemens STEP online tutorials before spending money on a book. You will be better able to evaluate the quality of the book and its suitability to your needs. I have never had anything but some literture very much like the Siemens STEP. I do remember the orginal pamplet I had, was from Allen Bradley. I do like the Siemens web site as it is good for a person looking for very basic information. Be sure to look at several of the courses.

Basics of Control Components applies to some of your questions. Check it out.

Last edited:
This is awesome info.. Thanks to all who have posted, and please, if someone stumbles across this thread down the road feel free to resurrect it, I’m always looking to gain knowledge. So far between online references and book reference from knowledgeable member, this is a good topic that adds great dynamics to this forum!

Thanks again,
James

Back