What's new
What's new

can an american lathe be used in Italy

Depends...

Not knowing exactly what the target location's power source is...

Make sure you have suitable phasing- if the machine is single phase, you'll need a single phase source. If the mill is a three phase, make sure you have three phase available.

Next is voltage. If your mill is 208-230, and the source is 250v three phase, you should be okay, as that is within 10%. If your power source is 480v 3 phase Y, you'll need three phases, motor wired for 440-480v with a center neutral. It'll take some research in your intended shop, as well as a few minutes with a screwdriver, removing the wiring-connection cover on the mill motor... and reading the hookup diagrams on the motor data plate.

The motor will tolerate variations... but if you have electronics- CNC, VFD, or DRO stuff, you'll need to check those individually, too.

And then there's a question of the operator... since American folk and Italians aren't quite 'wired' the same way, you may need to purchase a different hat.

"is it very difficult to rewire an american wired lathe or mill to be used in Italy or should i buy european?"

American machinery is 208-240 or 480 three-phase (exception for single-phase stuff).

Europe has been "harmonized" at 230 volts, but that is single-phase volts. For three-phase it would be 400 volts, with 380 and 415 also being possibilities.

230:400 transformers, which could cover the 220:380, 230:400 and 240:415 cases, and 460:400 transformers, which could cover the 440:380, 460:400 and 480:415 cases, should be available.

The primary is usually ungrounded, and is connected as if it was a ∆, even though it is a Y.

The secondary is usually grounded, thereby creating a "separately derived system", for reasons of safety.

A 440V machine will have a good chance of working fine, Italy used to be 220/380V Y now 230/400V. A 440V 60 Hz machine will be close to 380V 50 Hz, naturally the spindle will run 20% slower and the horsepower will be 20% less. Even a 480V machine should be OK. The only problem I can see is any electronics and devices which run off DC derived from the mains as the F/V ratio will not work in your favour with these devices.

As for single phase or 240V 3 phase machines, probably too much hassle to make one work unless you don't mind running a transformer, bear in mind that transformers will not be so common in Italy as in the US because their electrical system is much more standardised than in the US.

If it was me, I would buy one there.
No shipping, no potential for shipping damage, no mystery electric gremlins, transformers, and you get a machine that has accessories made locally that fit it.

They have ebay in Italy, of course-
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...13&ih=010&category=25295&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

and used machinery dealers online-
http://www.industriamercato.it/tornio/

A milling machine is a "fresatrice" and there are lots of those for sale used as well.
http://www.industriamercato.it/fresatrice/

Including Ferrari brand mills. May be your only chance to own a ferrari, if you have a wife like mine...

Back