What's new
What's new

Using a Square D Mag Starter for a RPC

Doug W

Hot Rolled
Anyone use a Square D magnetic starter for their RPC?

I have a 7.5hp idler motor, size 2 Square D mag starter, box and most of the switches and caps.
Will plan on running up to one 5hp motor off it.
Which size heaters should I be using?

Should I be using a 120v or 220v coil?

A wiring diagram and a photo or two would be nice to get this project started.

thanks in advance, Doug

The late Square D starters have both N.O. (for the "seal" function) and N.C. (for the "alarm" function) auxiliary contacts.

These also have a fuse block with places for two fuses, and which may be used to directly power the "three wire" control station (assuming line power for this station, and for the starter's coil) or may power a control transformer (assuming 115 volts, or 24 volts for these functions).

The coil may be line voltage, 115 volts (common) or 24 volts (very common in school shops).

The coil could also be dc, but that is a whole 'nother matter entirely.

The heaters should be sized to the FLA of your idler.

Ok, but what I am asking is the 115v coil preferred for a RPC?

That is what I have,
Or should I be looking for something else?

The contactor I have is used and I doubt "late".

Unless you want to add a neutral leg to the input power cord, you'll need to use a step down transformer to pull the 120 control voltage off your mains.

Step down transformers for this task are cheap and readily available. I'd imagine a new coil for your contactor would be more money than the transformer to make it functional.

Doug,

I have used Square D 8536 starters for small RPCs, that is , 3 hp and 5 hp but they are hard to make connections between the contactor section and the overload section. You will need to make connections between the contactor and overload relay for all the capacitors. Yesterday, jminer99er sent me a photo of a size 3 Square D starter (I do not know the model) which has large copper tabs sticking up where the contactor connects to the overload relay. This one will be easy to use for a RPC as these tabs have threaded holes for bolted connections.

Some simple math. the size 2 starter is rated for 45 amps which is just marginal for a 7-1/2 hp RPC. I think it will work fine if you do not have more than 7 hp total load running at any one time. You should probably use wire good for 50 amps just in case you have to use a 50 amp breaker.

I am just finishing a new 7-1/2 hp and took photos last night. I do not have them with me at the moment but can send some next week if you will send me a private message and your email address. Mine is built with a seperate contactor and overload relay so it will look a little different. It has run capactirors per Fitch Williams' design, uses a capacitor start with potential relay and has two output fused circuits. This one is a 60 amp design intended for a 50 or 60 amp single phase circuit. The design will work for either a 7-1/2 hp idler or a 10 hp idler with changes only to the overload heaters and the capacitors.

See the posting I made a few days back about ideas for a capacitor rack. some of the responses may give you some ideas for mounting the capacitors.

Bruce Norton

Doug,

I have used Square D 8536 starters for small RPCs, that is , 3 hp and 5 hp but they are hard to make connections between the contactor section and the overload section. You will need to make connections between the contactor and overload relay for all the capacitors. Yesterday, jminer99er sent me a photo of a size 3 Square D starter (I do not know the model) which has large copper tabs sticking up where the contactor connects to the overload relay. This one will be easy to use for a RPC as these tabs have threaded holes for bolted connections.

Some simple math. the size 2 starter is rated for 45 amps which is just marginal for a 7-1/2 hp RPC. I think it will work fine if you do not have more than 7 hp total load running at any one time. You should probably use wire good for 50 amps just in case you have to use a 50 amp breaker.

I am just finishing a new 7-1/2 hp and took photos last night. I do not have them with me at the moment but can send some next week if you will send me a private message and your email address. Mine is built with a seperate contactor and overload relay so it will look a little different. It has run capactirors per Fitch Williams' design, uses a capacitor start with potential relay and has two output fused circuits. This one is a 60 amp design intended for a 50 or 60 amp single phase circuit. The design will work for either a 7-1/2 hp idler or a 10 hp idler with changes only to the overload heaters and the capacitors.

See the posting I made a few days back about ideas for a capacitor rack. some of the responses may give you some ideas for mounting the capacitors.

Bruce Norton

Thanks Bruce!

To clariry, the RPC converter would be 5hp capacity using a 7.5 idler. I believe the size 2 is adequate. Is this correct?

I will PM you my email.

Back