What's new
What's new

? 120 to 240V using transformer intended to reduce voltage

J_R_Thiele

Stainless
Just got an old bridgeport with a J head and the 1 hp pancake motor. This was wired for 480 volts, and used in a factory. On the back it has a 1.5 KVA transformer with a primary winding input of 480 or 240, and a secondary winding output of 240 or 120, with taps so you can get the 120 or 240 outpt with either 240 or 480 input.

Is there anyway to run this in "reverse" , and put in 120 V , have 240 V output, so I can run this into a TECO FM50 VFD (which I have no experince with).

I know how to reconnect the motor leads to run it on 240.

I do not (yet) have 240 V single phase in that end of the shop area, nor do I have a cord long enough to run from my phase convertor. After reading the diagram on the transformer I got to wondering about alternatives....

The KVA rating of that transformer isn't likely to be high enough to support the load of the VFD. IOW, you'll smoke it and have nothing; where as you have a perfectly good step down transformer for control circuits right now.

IN GENERAL, all transformers are "reversable".

So long as the flux in the core is the same, it cannot be determined whether it comes from a "primary" or a "secondary".

HOWEVER.................

Many transformers of the 'distribution" type are "compensated". meaning that they are 120V out at full load.......... may be MORE at light load.

SO? You say, how does that bother me?

because the TURNS RATIO is NOT what it looks like.... You EXPECT a 4:1, but really it is only 3.85:1, or some such number. That gives a higher output when run as a reducing transformer, but a LOWER output when reversed.

So running it in reverse, you put in 120V and out comes, say, 462V no load, dropping lower with load, and you say "WTF is the problem?".........

Back