What's new
What's new

Which Phase Converter

I will soon need to make a decision on am RPC as well. I am one that is not comfortable making my own so I too am looking at turn-key options. From the research I've done American Rotary is currently at the top of the list. It seems everyone that's purchased from them have been pleased. They don't appear to be as complex as some of the home brew versions I've seen but there are those that say it's not necessary if the design is right.

I talked to american rotary and they said,with my nardini 6/4hp 2 speed motor i would need a 20 to 25hp converter.All the other companys i talked to said i could use a 10 to 15 hp.Does this sound right?
And is there any body else on this form that has a nardini 1440E lathe that can tell me what size converter they use?

American rotary is correct to size it up to a 20hp unit, thats how I would size it up for my customers. This type of lathe has a very high clutch speed, because of the high amp draw on startup at this speed, you will need to oversize the converter to help reduce voltage loss at startup.

I have been using GWM's now Smith Electric Motor Werks for over 10 years newest is 4, (replaced a 17 year old Phase a matic) have 4 total 3 of which are running CNCs and EDMs (stand alones) only put a contactor in the 10 year old recently mainly I assume, beacause not using it daily, hope this helps.
RK

Consider ARCO also......

The small one I have is at least 20 years old, and still works fine with what appears to be original parts.......

Unlike some, they have UL, and CSA recognition.........

Are Phonenix Converters really as crummy as I've heard on here? I have a 15hp motor and really just need a panel- have only found a couple of companies that offer this.

I talked to american rotary and they said,with my nardini 6/4hp 2 speed motor i would need a 20 to 25hp converter.All the other companys i talked to said i could use a 10 to 15 hp.Does this sound right?
And is there any body else on this form that has a nardini 1440E lathe that can tell me what size converter they use?

I have an American Rotary converter. Only for a couple of months now, but it has been fine so far. Installation was pretty easy. I have a 5hp spindle motor, they set me up with a 10 hp unit.

Back