What's new
What's new

600 volt???

bdmanufacturing

Plastic
Hi there,

am very new to 3 ph converters(just bought a phoenix :eek:)anyway my problem

i have a Elliot 12x36 lathe that has a 6 hp 600v 3 ph motor,i was wondering if there was a way to run said motor with above said 15 hp ph converter ???or would it be easier to change to a N.A.voltage motor

thanks

bd

You do have a few choices:
1- See if the motor can be internally reconnected
2- Rewind to 230vac
3- Replace with a 230vac rated motor
4- Install a three phase transformer on the output side of the converter, this will step-up your three phase voltage from 230-vac to 600-vac three phase.

The fourth choice would be the best one I think, because you might have some type of magnetic starter on the lathe. This starter would have a coil voltage rating at 600vac ( unless there is a control transformer ). Plus you would need to rewire the lathe ( as the lathe motor will draw more current at 230vac......2.5 times more ) plus change the overload heaters, and the contacts might be underrated for 230vac application.

You might run into a problem if you plan on using a electrician to install your control panel and having it inspected, as the panel is not CSA approved.

Controls are most often single-phase, although the remainder of the machine may be three-phase.

Identify which of the three incoming phases are connected to the controls. You will most likely see a control transformer connected between two of the three incoming phases, very often A and C.

Now, to make 600 volts three-phase from 240 volts single-phase (or 575 volts three-phase from 230 volts single-phase, or 550 volts three-phase from 220 volts single-phase), you can first make 240 volts three-phase (or 230 volts three-phase, or 220 volts three-phase) and then transform that to 600 volts (or 575 volts, or 550 volts) using a three-phase transformer, OR you can transform that to 600 volts (or 575 volts, or 550 volts) using a single-phase transformer and then make 600 volts (or 575 volts, or 550 volts) three-phase .

Both methods have been successfully employed.

In order to "scale" a 240 volt design to, say, 600 volts, you must adjust the capacitances by the factor (240 / 600) ^ 2 = 0.16. That is, if a 240 volt "reference design" states 100 µF, then for a 600 volt design 16 µF would be required, instead.

As always, the starting capacitor must be rated for the applied voltage, 600, while the running capacitor or the power factor correcting capacitor must be rated for the peak voltage plus a safety factor, 1.56 * 600 = 933.

Coming up with capacitors rated 933 volts will prove to be problematic, but two identical 600 volt capacitors in series give a capacitor rated 1200 volts, but one-half the capacitance.

Any switchgear on the 600 volt side must be rated for "600 volt class". The normal class, "300 volt class", is used for 240 (or 230, or 220) volts.

In order to "scale" a 240 volt design to, say, 600 volts
You would only need to scale the capacitors, if you were planning on stepping up the single phase voltage to 600vac. If you do use a single phase transformer to step-up the voltage to 600vac, make sure to increase the kva rating by 1.73 ( multiply three phase amps by 1.73 = KVA rating for single phase transformer )

Last edited:
thanks guys

anyway i got a 3 ph motor 230vac,so now i will see where that will lead me.hopefully i wont have to change tomuch in the controls,the lathe was made in '68.my electrican said he would look at the box and upgrade if nessasary anything.

thanks again and will post pics as i get the equipment up and running

bd

Back