What's new
What's new

50 Ingenious ways to bend your VF carousel !!

sudtechcnc

Cast Iron

When the VMc door gives you trouble .go ahead and correct it .
But see that you dont correct it properly..this will ensure that the Door is not easy to slide shut ( The left door).
when the night shift operator ( he's the most likely one) gets irritated ,He will give vent his frustration on the sticky door, and give it an almighty heave.
This will cause the rollers to slip out of the slideway and make the door fall on to the Tool changer.
Now the sheet metal cover will bend just enough to push down on to the pull stud of the tool.
(here you must ensure that the carousel if full of tools at the front of the machine so that the chances of this happening increases).

If you have done all of the above in the correct sequence then .LO ! you have a bent carousel plate . If you are lucky ,you can also get a hairline crack ensuring that you can never again use about three tool pockets

( this is the first in a series ....more to follow !)

Look out !

Better luck to all of you with sticky doors !

Mathen

This one is the most common one I think.

Put a long tool in the pocket and do a reference return.not bothering to see if its
got a clear path to home even after z has homed first.

MJM

3, If we have a Tall fixture, then during tool change one of the tools will foul up with the job

( avoided by ensuring that the program takes care of this for all tools before going into production)

4, If we have done a heavy cutting with a tool , that tool will stick tight in the spindle and the declamp pneumatics may not be able to yank it out clean . when we do the tool change,there will be a loud popping noise when the tool is released , usually this results in a bend.

( avoided by avoiding automatic tool change. instead do a manual tool change aided by tapping on the tool with an aluminium block )

ARB... I thought everybody does it...

after a long heavy cut ..we can just guess its going to stick in the spindle .
so when the cut is over , one guy holds the tool while the other guy presses the tool release button..and when it refuses to budge. the guy who is holding the tool uses his other hand to give a small tap on the tool to coax it out of the spindle .
MJM

With big hands and some practice you can do it by yourself.:D

If you hold your block just right you can swing it while holding in the release button.

I don't think I'm of age enough to read any more of this here thread. :o

---------------

Now my empty cup is as sweet as the punch! :D
Ox

ARB

How about pressing the tool release button with your head while swinging the block ??
MJM

And OX do take time to clean all the vessels before using it for drinking or eating....

MJM

Shoulder dowel

Whenever we get a tool stuck like that and i'm alone in the show i use an aluminum dowel and pin it between my shoulder and the tool release button while using my right hand to hold the tool and my left to tap it with a soft hammer. Thats only happened to us when we run at the max RPM. We've since backed down just a few hundred RMPs and it hasn't happened since.

My 2 cents

Back