What's new
What's new

U.S. Phase Converter Standards Organization - is this group valid?

Is this a valid group (UL like), or something different (marketing for specific manufacturers)?

http://www.usphaseconverterstandards.org/rotaryphaseconverters.htm

This group regards many converters as producing unbalanced power, hazardous and unreliable (except for 2 manufacturers: Temco & Ace):

http://www.usphaseconverterstandards.org/qualityphaseconverters.htm

as well as building your own as "dangerous", and unbalanced:
http://www.usphaseconverterstandards.org/phaseconvertercomparison.htm
http://www.usphaseconverterstandards.org/buildyourownphaseconverterplans.htm

if what they say is true, then the converters made by: WNY supply, & Gentec/American Rotary are not recommended?

i have searched this forum for this USPCSO group, & have not found any information, and was in the process of deciding between (WNY-gold or Gentec) RPC.

tia

Yeah....It is a website that is runned by Temco and Ace phase converter. The website promotes just those two phase manufactures...very misleading

The NEC has established certain safety requirements for so-called phase converters.

The language covers both so-called static and so-called rotary converters.

As usual, the NEC is more concerned about fire safety, but not to the exclusion of good practices in other specialties as well.

Specifically, the NEC identifies precisely where capacitors may be incorporated into an SPC or an RPC, or into any system, for that matter.

The section on capacitors immediately follows the section on phase converters.

I believe UL has a program for Listing of SPCs and RPCs, but it is my belief that some SPCs claim UL Listing by reason of their inclusion of a UL Listed pull box as the first "device" to which the lines are connected to the SPC, yet the remainder of the SPC is not UL Listed.

An RPC could be UL Listed rather easily as most are simply an off-the-shelf induction motor with a pull-box attached, and which box contains at a minimum one capacitor. If the motor, pull-box and capacitor are UL Recognized components, then UL Listing may follow, but not necessarily immediately.

Ultimately, it is the premises owner/operator who is responsible for the quality of the power provided to his "utilization equipment".

Proper selection and sizing of all component parts of an RPC system is, therefore, a user responsibility.

No code nor agency can read the minds of the premises users and guarantee that something as complex as an RPC system will work as expected, and as required, right out of the box.

Well, perhaps Phase Perfect can.

I think the organization in question tried to infiltrate
this board, about three or four years ago. They explained
in great detail about how home-made converters were a
scourge upon the earth.

I think somebody sent them packing.

Or am I mis-remembering the details of that dust-up?

Jim

"Or am I mis-remembering the details of that dust-up?"

Sounds about right, Jim.

I seem to recall it was a self-serving pile of crap which read like the proverbial "Architects and Engineers Specifications".

Something like: "..., and the Rotary Phase Converter shall be American Rotary Model <such and such>".

Peter

Here's the ICANN info on this outfit:

Domain ID: D106657902-LROR
Domain Name:USPHASECONVERTERSTANDARDS.ORG
Created On:19-Jun-2005 08:03:48 UTC
Last Updated On:07-Jan-2008 03:02:45 UTC
Expiration Date:19-Jun-2010 08:03:48 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Melbourne IT, Ltd. dba Internet Names Worldwide (R52-LROR)
Registrant ID:C115056804241756
Registrant Name:US Phase Converter Standards Organization
Registrant Street1:100 E. Whitestone Blvd.
Registrant Street2:Suite 148, 351
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Cedar Park
Registrant State/Province:TX
Registrant Postal Code:78613
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.5122673070
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:[email protected]
Admin ID:C115056804241757
Admin Name:US Phase Converter Standards Organization
Admin Street1:100 E. Whitestone Blvd.
Admin Street2:Suite 148, 351
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Cedar Park
Admin State/Province:TX
Admin Postal Code:78613
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.5122673070
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:[email protected]
Tech ID: D11191682269621
Tech Name:YahooDomains TechContact
Tech Street1:701 First Ave.
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Sunnyvale
Tech State/Province:CA
Tech Postal Code:94089
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.6198813096
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:[email protected]
Name Server:NS1.HE.NET
Name Server:NS2.HE.NET

From usphaseconverterstandards.org/aboutus.htm, "... While we do our best to stay current and present accurate electrical synopsis of phase converter experiences and information we cannot guarantee that is correct in any way for any particular use. Some of the information published on this site is common sense and some of it is opinion. We recognize that tests of different technologies can have different results at different times for different reasons. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information presented on this web site in any way for any purpose and we recommend that anyone deciding on a technology for their particular purpose do their own research use good common sense."

Here is their disclaimer. I love the part that says

"...information We cannot guarantee that is correct in any way for any particular use. Some of the information published on this site is common sense and some of it is opinion."

Opinion? What, No Engineers? Sounds like a bunch of salesman to me. Joe

What should we expect, they say my 15 year old rotary converter should

a) last only two years,

b) blow up my machines, and

c) electrocute me.

Oddly none of those things have happened - yet. :)

That must have been under the 'not really guaranteed to be right' clause,
or maybe under the 'it's just our opinon' clause.

Jim

Back