What's new
What's new

20hp WNY gold control panel

chicotwo

Aluminum
I have a 20hp WNY gold control panel on the way and wanted to know what is the minimum 220 single phase breaker and wire size i should run to the control panel?
I will be running a nardini lathe that is 6hp and a bridgeport that is 2hp.

Chicotwo

You gonna love that panel. I have been running a WNY Supply panel for 7 months and everyday it gets up and runs fine. One of the best investments I have made and Jacques does great client (customer) support. In fact he has been there for me when I had questions even on the weekend and is prompt with call backs. A very happy client / user.

I got the wire to hook it up at Lowes - they had some that a customer ordered and it was cut too short but was on the rack at half off - good for me. I also used a SO cord of the right size to drop from the knife safety switch to the machine (a 10HP VMC).

Frank S. in Tennessee

Since your loads are pretty light 6hp and 2HP, you can go with light feed wire like 8AWG, but if you have larger loads later, you will need to upsize your feed wire. I assume you picked a 20HP unit because you are thinking that you will have larger loads later on.

In order to take advantage of the full 20HP, you would need a much larger feed circuit.

20HP * 2.8 a/hp = 56 three phase amps.
56 * 1.73 = 97 amps (square root of three to get from three phase to single phase)

If you ever had 20 HP of load motor at FLA, it would be sucking 97 amps single phase. You then have to add the idling current of the idler, probably about 10 amps for a 20 hp idler, so the total draw is 107 amps. I would use a 120 amp feeder and be done, but a 100 amp would probably be fine.

If you get a chance post some pics of the internals of your pannel with component ratings. The gold pannel I saw in the past was very nice, but I think it was a 10 HP unit. Just curious what is in a 20HP unit.

-Joe

I picked a 20hp motor because i could not find a 15hp for a good price.
I ordered the control box last week but i have not received it yet.
I will post some pics when i get it.

a few pics from an old thread...

P1010110.jpg

P1010117.jpg

P1010118.jpg

P1010113.jpg

Replaced potential relay that was damaged in shipping and replace the start capacitors...unit is up and running

Joe,

Would you like to see an "Exploded" view of Chicotwo's 20hp convertor? It's amazing the damage a bad potential relay can cause. As far as ther relay being "damaged" during shipping, that's purely an assumption Macplus. We will both agree that Macplus was very helpfull and available whenever required. My only comment is that we had to almost beg for him to send the replacement Potential Relay. I suspected this to be the problem when the first Start Capacitor the blew. We went trough several other caps but failed to shut it down fast enough before they blew. Our Fault. In addition, there were other items that myself nor Chicotwo were impressed with. I will let Chicotwo comment on some of the assembly comments if he so desires or the posting of any pictures. In fairness, I would only post pictures of the unit back in original condition.

Paul

The WNY 20 hp converter is working great.
Wny customer service is A+.
I had some transformer wiring problems and he called me back right a way and helped me fix the problem.

Back