What's new
What's new

Phase Converter went bzzzzzzzzzzz

teamsouth

Aluminum
Hi,
Apparently starting out as one of those mornings i shoulda stayed in bed. Anyway I have a 30HP CNC American Rotary Phase Converter. Been using it for the last 5 yrs pretty consistently. This morning I flipped the switch and it started fine as usual, but say 10 min into it running it made a quick buzzing sound, the lights in the shop flickered and it shut off. I of course called them and am waiting a call back but figured maybe one of the people on here might be a bit quicker to respond. I just need to know where to start. I have power in to the converter as no fuses tripped at the main box but obviously the motor is not making any noise or even humming.....Any help appreciated

Well, something fried.

The first step is to shut off the power and open it up. It could be a cap shorted, or the idler motor died. Who knows, it might be something simple, I dunno if there are breakers or fuses and stuff inside. It could be a cap shorted causing the breaker/fuse to blow. MAKE SURE you've got the breaker off before you open it. :cheers:

How is it hooked up?

If you have a contctor with overloads, it may have opened those.

Otherwise, it may have a thermal which opened internally.

Those may be two different things. In one case, a component may have fried, shorting a run cap, for instance, which would essentially short out one "phase". (good argument for fusing caps.... the unit will run without them, better than when shorted).

In the other case, an internal thermal would have to be from overloading, or possibly also from a component or part of a winding shorting.

Disconnect power, then look inside for damaged components or obvious wiring failures.

If no joy there, you have to talk to the manufacturer.

Back