What's new
What's new

Stuck tool in spindle

PBMW

Titanium
2000 Haas Mini
Ran fine yesterday. Fire it up today, home it and get a tool fault. Do the toolchanger recovery, Tool will not release...you can hear the solinoid, but no joy...

I didn't want to jump in because I've never had it happen. Did you leave the toolholder in the spindle while the machine cooled down?

Dunno. I wasn't runnin it. I just know it was fine yesterday. Alarmed today. Took a prybar to it and all is just wonderfull now.
Or as wonderfull as it can be in Haasland....

I get that some on old crusty. When I load a new tool set I put a small amount of Vactra2 on the tapers. Pretty much takes care of it.:rolleyes5:

I think I would be checking tool knock out during tool unclamp.
Should "bump the tool holder loose by approx .015" to .20".
Be sure you have the proper tool retention knob. Place the toolholder in a female taper of sorts and measure to the end of the retention knob. Measure a number of toolholders and compare the length of the retention knobs.
A short ret knob will affect tool knockout..
Also, I would suspect a little problem from heat related activity. Could even be warm spindle cooling off during the night and getting real tight on the toolholder taper.
Regards Walt...

stuck tool

I have that problem sometimes. Dirty taper or hot spindle cooling over night or both. Do the tool recovery and get someone to push the tool release button while you hold the tool in one hand and whack it with a mallet (i find metal to work best, don't use a steel one) which should free it from the taper. Hold on to that tool holder. It really tends to POP out.

No prybars needed

We get toolholders stuck every now and then. Usually because a cold toolholder goes into a hot spindle. The holder expands and trust me, it's STUCK! If you can grab a light tool like one of our SpeedHammers quick enough and tap the holder while it's trying to release, it should come out just fine. A firm jolt is all it takes. Prybars are for opening crates. I cringe at the thought of anyone using one on a precision machine. BBRRRRR

I got the same problem at work. The spindle gets extremely hot (already saw the thread and made some suggestions and got a big mmmm......mehh) and we are not temp controlled at all so sometimes a cold tool goes in. When that VF-1 cools down....you guessed it stuck tool. We just give it a little bump with some aluminum when hitting tool release and out they come. We try to take out all the tools as soon as the machine is going to start to sit to prevent it.

Good point Alex. You've got two factors going on with a cold holder in a hot spindle. They exchange thermal energy so the holder expands while the spindle contracts. And yes... never leave a holder in the spindle overnight or while the machine warms up.

I'll second or third or whatever the not leaving a tool in the spindle. Whenever our machines aren't running, we pull the tool out of the spindle. Especially when I'm running a mold or something like that with a long cycle time with just one tool.

When you guys are git'n hot spindles - are you only running dry? Or with coolant?

Mine in a Hardinge and runs 5500-7500 for an hr cycle + 15 minute part change - all day long - although it does have many tool changes and runs coolant. But the spindle is not even WARM to the touch after that!

Is this a diff in the spindles - or how their being used doo yuh think?

----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I run my Haas with coolant directly on the spindle and it gets warm to the touch with that. I would say warm like the little square thing on a laptop power cord after about 10+ hours of use.

This problem happens to alot of the Haas machines. Call haas service and ask them for the procedure to purge the spindle. It takes a couple of hours but the will be a huge difference when you are done. The problem is there is a build up of oil in the spindle. Which causes the spindle to heat up. This is why your tools are sticking. I had Haas service in here for 3 days to figure the problem out. Thankfully it was still under warranty. He then notified me it would be a good idea to do this every 6-12 months. I hope this helps.

Tools Sticking in Spindle.

After you have purged the spindle, I would invite you to review post # 6 in this thread..
We had trouble with spindle housings filling up with oil but all it did was trip the breaker on the drive. Electricians got there 4 hours later, the oil had drained out of the housing and the problem was no where to be found. Increased the drain line, that really helped the problem.
Regards Walt..

Back