What's new
What's new

Resource for switch form factors? Best Sources?

BadDog

Stainless
Not exactly the right place, but somewhat on-topic anyway.

I've got a number of switches I picked up for wiring my RPC panel. Turns out I have a bad "jog" momentary on my new lathe (that necessitated the RPC upgrade). I also have a broken lens on on the power light. So I thought, "I'll just use one of the extras, surely I have something that will work." Well, you can see where this is going; nothing I have will fit. Got the right voltages and operation, but the body is physically too big on all my switches, likewise none of the lenses work.

So I have 2 questions.

1) I was cruising ebay looking for likely candidates, but find that they all list various spec numbers. Searching on the spec numbers yields lots of stuff, including some relative to the parts, but not a good reference that I could find. Something that would allow me to make a list of numbers that would fit/work would be ideal. I could then use that on ebay, and carry with me (hopefully tomorrow or next day) when I go to an electrical surplus I was told of.

2) These can't be all that expensive just to buy, once I know what the form factors are. The Taiwan switches have information on them, but it is only "6A 250V" and "TEND". The control circuite on this lathe (at least according to the schematic) appears to be 110V). Unless that second part ("TEND") is a form factor of some sort, I don't know what to look for. Searching those strings is useless.

For what it's worth, the max physical dimension is important because it fits in a casting hole that provides little extra room. Main body square (under round male thread) is 1.250 x 1.250 and clears the casting MAYBE 0.100 max. You actually have to rotate it through to clear the wire lugs. This is a single pole NO switch with male thread major diameter of about 0.975. Heck, the lock collar thread is busted but could be made to work if I just had a replacement button/cap with 0.675 female thread and max OD of 0.800.

And the lens is red, with male threads and a major diameter of right at 0.800 and ID of 0.625. No idea on height, all I have is about 0.100 of the threads...

I include all those measurements in part because I thought someone might recognize them as close to some standard CAT ?whatever? (and in part so I have them documented where I can get access to them when I invariably leave my note somewhere).

Obviously a bulb cover and job button are low priority items, but figured I would start looking as convenient.

Back