What's new
What's new

Line starter questions.

mcfarling

Plastic
Assembling my antique here, and the hardware is together.
Now the wiring.....

Running a phasa-a-matic converter, i think i can do the wiring there no problem....

But at the lathe itself, the linestarter there is a westinghouse with a push button switch mounted to the front.

I was looking for an online source for how exactly the wiring is supposed to go.
Unfortunately i had help disassembling this thing, and was not paying close enough attention.

I seem to remember there being a reverse button as well, there is even a place to mount it.

But where do all these wires go? the old wiring is all black cloth covered antique, of course being replaced.

if it helps, it is a westinghouse 897933 linestarter, 220 volt 3 phase.

Magnetic Starter is what they are.

You have to say if it is a reversing starter - easy to tell. A non reversing will have one magnetically operated contactor and a reversing will have two - side by side the same size.

You have to know coil voltage. could be 220, 120 or even 24v. You have to look at the coil and see what is marked on it. The coil is the winding for the electro magnet that operates the contactor.

John Oder

here's a little more info

IMG_2741.jpg

and

IMG_2742.jpg

it's connected as the 220v, i'm pretty sure it had a reverse button, just misplaced at the moment.
Anyone concur this unit supports reverse?

if you are curious as to the status of the lathe, it's got quite a lot of new paint here.
IMG_2419.jpg

and the important details

IMG_2420.jpg

"Anyone concur this unit supports reverse?"

No, it doesn't.

If it did, it would have two coils and two armatures, and the armatures would be mechanically interlocked so that simultaneously selecting F and R would be impossible.

Note that the terminals are labeled, R to L: 1, L1, L3 and L3.

Terminals L1, ..., L3 go to the motor.

Terminal 1 is in parallel with the L1 contact set, but it is used for the "seal" function of a "three-wire control station".

A reversing magnetic starter is about 2-1/2 times as wide as this one is (the extra 1/2 is to accommodate the mechanical interlock), yet it still has but two overloads, just as this one does.

So we know it is not reversing, but we don't know coil voltage I asked in #2 above.

As to wiring up the PB, it would go like so for a 220V coil:

A wire from L1 would head to one side of coil

From the other side of the coil, a wire would go to one side of the left heater

From the other side of that left heater, a wire would go to one side of the right heater

From the other side of that right heater, a wire would go to the PB

From the PB, a wire would go to L2 or L3.

What you have just made is a single loop that has no power until you close the loop by pushing the start button.

This loop can be opened at any of three points.

These three points are the left heater, the right heater and the stop button.

When the loop is closed the magnet operates the contactor. When the loop is open, the magnet has no power and the contacts of the contactor open.

If the coil has some other voltage, the loop has to accomodate that, by including a transformer, or change of the start and end positions to some other source of power of a value to suit the coil.

On edit: The PB is slightly more complicated than that, because it is open until the contactor closes, and stays closed until the contactor opens. This requires a third wire going to the PB, and possibly the use of aux contacts on the contactor.

John Oder

Last edited:
Here's ...

10EE_Contactor_Schematic.jpg

... a partial schematic from a well-known machine.

The "1" terminal is connected to the junction of the N.O. START switch and the N.C. STOP switch.

This is a "line voltage control". There are other options, including 115 volt control and 24 volt control.

Which is selected depends upon the voltage of the coil.

This is shown with the "three-wire control station" being returned to the B phase, which is the manufactured phase in an RPC-powered system, and which is not recommended.

In most cases, this station should be returned to the C phase, which is a real phase in an RPC-powered system.

Back