What's new
What's new

Change Axis Homing Routine

Tim in D

Hot Rolled
I've got my Mini Mill set up with a HRT610 4th and want to change the way the machine homes. Because I'm using long reach tool holders, I'm crashing the the longest tool into the RT as the machine homes in the start-up each AM. If I could get the X axis to rapid out of the way before the tool umbrella homes I'd be happy. I've tried various tool arrangements to no avail. I have left the longest tool out and then installed it by hand after I home but jeez, why have a changer if you gotta do it by hand???

BTW, you get that RT in there and it's a FULL house!

Tim in D

You can reference each axis individually if you don't use the power up restart button.

Just use the single axis return buttons in conjunction with the axis you want to ref.

Since homing just needs to be done once at the start of the shift ,why not do it like...

1, power up machine (40 sec)
2, handle mode- move X and Y and maneuver them to the left and front extremes respectively after avoiding the obstacles. ( 20 sec)
3, do the ref return (all axes together ). From the left and front extremes ,they are just going to move an inch or so to complete the ref return. (5 seconds)
4 , handle back out of the south west corner to the safe zone you have identified. (20 sec)
then call the program which should have the tool change command as the first line. ( 5 sec)

( obviously for all the in between tool changes your program should take care of your tool changing safe zones.)
just a minute and a half at the start of the shift to get you off to a productive start.

Good Luck

MJM

Thanks all. I have learned to single axis home all three axies and also changed setting 81 to 0 so that a tool change does not occur at start-up. ;)

Tim in D

My carousel is totally full of tools so I just take T1 out of the spindle every night, as I don't want it to sit there with a tool in the spindle when off, and then I don't have to worry about a toolchange in the morning on startup.

Back