What's new
What's new

Damn You Setting 76

Mike Ortega

Aluminum
:angry:
Well I was moving my probe into position to measure a bore, just jogging all nice and all. I wanted to change to the "Y" direction and I looked over to hit Y and I hear air hiss and a blam. Sweeeet, my probe did a double gainer into my part. The probe body is fine, the stylus just vaporized. Mind you I've only been here for 20 mins at the time. So with that said, be sure to turn your Setting 76 Tool Release Lockout to off. So, now I wait for a new stylus :toetap:

You mean "ON" don't you? "Off" means the button on the panel works. I was lucky with our Haas service guy. When he installed it, he showed me setting 76, explained it, and then he turned it "ON". He recommended to never turn it back off. I never have and now that I've heard your story, I never will. (I just double checked- it's still ON) Thanks for the lesson. Sorry about your problem though.

You mean "ON" don't you? "Off" means the button on the panel works. I was lucky with our Haas service guy. When he installed it, he showed me setting 76, explained it, and then he turned it "ON". He recommended to never turn it back off. I never have and now that I've heard your story, I never will. (I just double checked- it's still ON) Thanks for the lesson. Sorry about your problem though.

Ahh yes. Correct. I was just thinking of the button itself being turned off. New stylus should be here soon.

Well , I thought it was quite thoughtful of HAAs to provide a standby button over there !

We had a switch failure on our machine and were just toying with the idea of removing the spindle cover to short wires / actuate the solenoid etc etc to release the tool ....and the Haas man told us about this.

And its not so inconvenient as you make it out to be ... even our shortest operator ( 5 foot 3" ) is able to use it effectively....

MJM

Lol. OK. You got me. I still think it's a mistake to have it. Maybe, the switch should be normally off at start up so you have to override it to make the redundant switch active? Like you do for the door override. As Mike has pointed out, it's potentially damaging. I've never seen that redundant switch on other machines.
Mike, when are you going to get the new stylus?

Lol. OK. You got me. I still think it's a mistake to have it. Maybe, the switch should be normally off at start up so you have to override it to make the redundant switch active? Like you do for the door override. As Mike has pointed out, it's potentially damaging. I've never seen that redundant switch on other machines.
Mike, when are you going to get the new stylus?

Stopped at my HFO in Union City on the way home last nite. $93 bucks. Not too bad. I'll re-calibrate this afternoon. Have you ever dropped a tool this way?

Not yet. But not for lack of trying. Just plain dumb luck. I've had the tool changer hang up with the probe in the spindle. I wasn't sure if it was still held securely. Nerve wracking recover.

$93? Good deal. We don't have a ring to calibrate ours. Can we make one or does it have to be precision ground? It hasn't been calibrated since we got the machine and I see some slight difference between it and indicated bores.

Last edited:
I'd use a ring gage

You'll probably bebetter off getting a ring guage, seeing as they're precision ground to size. I'm using a 1.2500 dia. I'm all calibrated and ready to go again. Sure glad it's friday.

The "Tool Release" button is on the panel because they use the same keyboard on the Horizontals.The Horizontals dont have one inside on the head like a Vertical mill does.

It's also pretty handy when you need someone to hit the release button while you hold the tool and tap the holder to get a stubborn tool out of the spindle.:rolleyes5: That is until you learn how to push the button and swing your stick with the same hand.:D

ARB, when that happens to me, I put the commands;

M82;
M86;

in MDI, then I put the single block on.

First one is unclamp, second one is clamp.

So, Cycle Start -> grab tool and hit it with mallet -> Cycle Start.

Hope that helps someone.

the mini mill has no button inside. I hate that. i dont like using the button on the out side because i am worried i will hit the wrong button such as "cw" or CCW that would really suck!

I had the switch on the headstock go not too long ago. It would not have been bad except it was releasing tools at will. We pulled the switch out and ran the few emergency Rush jobs with the panel button. So it does come in handy.

Week before the panal button went the Tool Carousel In Switch went. That was fun too, tool would go into position for a tool change and drop tool.

For stuck tools, many times I can just whack the tool holder in place with a mallet or piece of brass. Usually no need to hold button or press at the same time.

Hey mike im a first timer here on practical machinest......... and well we have here a new haas vf-4 wit the apc we also got the package wit the marposs probe now im use to the machine and i love grabbing offsets wit the probe so much easier and faster. well anyways my question is how do u setup and use your probe to measure a bore or any other deminsions? i know its suppose to be able to but i haven't been able to figure out how..... if possible can u please give me some pointers on how u got it to do so??? thanks

The "Tool Release" button is on the panel because they use the same keyboard on the Horizontals.The Horizontals dont have one inside on the head like a Vertical mill does.

I know for fact our EC 1600 has a release button right next to the spindle. Because the release on the controls is off.

Hey mike im a first timer here on practical machinest......... and well we have here a new haas vf-4 wit the apc we also got the package wit the marposs probe now im use to the machine and i love grabbing offsets wit the probe so much easier and faster. well anyways my question is how do u setup and use your probe to measure a bore or any other deminsions? i know its suppose to be able to but i haven't been able to figure out how..... if possible can u please give me some pointers on how u got it to do so??? thanks

The easiest way is when your in edit hit F1 or F2 can't remember for sure. It highlights the selections up top. Look for the Virtual Quick Codes. There's stuff in there for the probe that make grabbing offsets nice and simple. It asks a few simple questions and you're on your way.

The easiest way is when your in edit hit F1 or F2 can't remember for sure. It highlights the selections up top. Look for the Virtual Quick Codes. There's stuff in there for the probe that make grabbing offsets nice and simple. It asks a few simple questions and you're on your way.

HEY THANKS BUT I KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT AND ITS F1........ BUT FROM MY UNDERSTANDING THAT WORKS WITH THE RENASHAW PROBE WE HAVE THE MARPOSS PROBE HERE AT THE SHOP THATS WHY I WAS ASKING IF ANYONE HERE HAS THE SAME TYPE OF PROBE IF THEY HAVE HAD ANY LUCK OR FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO IT.....

well, first off, easy on the caps.

Second, our new VF-6 (with the renishaw) requires you to enter MDI mode, and then hit the program/conversational button to access the conversational programming menu. from there arrow over to the VQC option.

Sorry if thats completely useless with the marposs.

well, first off, easy on the caps.

Second, our new VF-6 (with the renishaw) requires you to enter MDI mode, and then hit the program/conversational button to access the conversational programming menu. from there arrow over to the VQC option.

Sorry if thats completely useless with the marposs.

Hey Jared sry about the caps i normally have it on cause of certain pgm for the vmc and sheet metal wont read correct with out caps.

but im gonna try that and see if it works, i'll let u guys know. sucks thought every one i talk to has renishaw almost no one has the marposs probe its a goog product and works well havent had any prob with it besides operater damage (broken stylus) but im gonna look into that some more thanks

Back