What's new
What's new

powering a camelback

Sea Farmer

Diamond
I've just acquired a Royersford 20" camelback. It has been modified to run off a 3/4 hp single-phase motor; however, there is no provision for changing speeds. The backgears are lost. It's a one-trick drill press. I've posted some details in the Antique forum.

I'd like to make it a variable speed again.

One thought is to use a small 3P motor with a VFD. I'll have the option of 1P or 3P input, as I'm installing a Phase perfect.

I'm looking for maximum torque at low RPMs. This will allow the DP to be used as intended, and as I need: big holes in steel.

I need advice as to minimum hp needed and VFD types, programming parameters.

I'd stick a 1.5 or 2 hp motor and VFD on it.

I'd get a 1.5 or 2hp motor, which would give you about double the torque your 3/4 horse motor has, and the VFD would give you even more torque. So, it would be about the same as if it had a back gear. As for VFDs, make sure you get a vector type, because they give you better low RPM torque. I like hitachi VFDs, but Teco is a good brand too. I really don't know if there are any bad VFDs. :cheers:

I would use a vfd with about a 1 or 1 1/2 horse motor. Use pulleys or jackshafts or worm gear reducer to achieve a reduction to where you use 120 hertz to drill a 1/4 inch hole. A vfd will produce good power down to about 20 hertz.
On one old lineshaft drill press, I have a 15:1 worm gearbox on. Maybe just a bit too much reduction, but not bad.

Back