What's new
What's new

Request for transformer KVA size analysis

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Need to change 240 volts to 575 volts via autotransformer for small CNC surface grinder (3 phase of course) Grinder spindle is 2 HP, hydraulic tank motor is 1 hp. Two axis drive motors to add in the mix, with plates (on the motors) that read "input 3AC, 123V, 6.0A" "output 1kw"

Also there is a tiny coolant motor at 1/8 hp and a vaccum system with 1/2 hp motor. Also the CNC control itself but I wouldn't think that would take any more input than a home PC.

So, would a 5kVA autotransformer be "barely adequate" or would 7.5 kVA be min size needed ?

JST ! Stop chattering over in Romper Room about subprime mortages ... I need some answers here man ! :toetap: ;)

I am not totally clear about the overall power requirements.....

But it does look like 5 KVA of nominal load, or so......

You said autotransformer...... A 5KVA regular transformer if you can find one that will stack up to those voltages while wired as an autotransformer should be way good.

A 5KVA rated autotransformer would likely be smaller, and possibly barely good enough, depending..... mostly depending on startup load, and on the "impedance percent" of the part.

Mortgages? well I was bored.... too late to start anything more in the shop. So I figured I'd toss some bricks in the puddle..... I needed to start SOMEthing....:D

Back