What's new
What's new

Source for inexpensive panel mount Volt Meters?

BadDog

Stainless
I can find inexpensive panel mount volt meters for low voltage, but I want something that covers roughly 0-350V or so. All the examples I can find in this range, the cost exceeds my casual interest. No need for high accuracy, small format would be better but not absolutely necessary. I would like to have 3 so that I can mount them on my RPC. I know I don't need it, but it would be interesting to see what happens in real time with various loads, both idlers running vs one, and so on.

You can get 300v AC pannel meters for $12.

350v will be more, because you'll have to calibrate them. Sources to check are all electronics, which is where I found the 300v meters, MCM electronics, surplus sales, and fair radio. The problem comes in when you try to go over 300v. You might have to get a generic pannel meter, rig your own resistor setup, and calibrate it using another meter (using your OWN scale). THAT last option would be the cheapest, give you EXACTLY what you want, but it would be the MOST difficult. :cheers:

Thanks. That 350V isn't set in stone, I just figured that would put the expected range well within the max range. Never ideal for a gage to be in it's outer 20% or so (like it really matters for this. The expected/target voltage is in the 200-250V range, so frankly 300V would be just fine as long as it is inexpensive.

WNY Supply has the ones they use in RPCs for a reasonable cost. Look on their website for these analog type volt meters. They are asian imports but WNY has enough confidence in them to use them in their own products.

I needed some smaller volt meters to make up a "tuner" for balancing phase converters and I found some cheap digital ones ($15 each), in an ebay store "Asia Engineer". These require no power supply when measuring voltages above 50 volts. I tested them out, put the RPC in the back of my truck, hauled it some 950 miles, reassembled the RPC, did a 3 hour demonstration and the all three voltmeters worked perfectly. These votmeters are not as rugged as I was wanting but they proved themselves to be serviceable.
These have a very short and very small gauge pigtail. I mounted a barrier strip ($3 at Radio Shack), just below the volt meters and terminated them there. I connected the larger wires to the other side of the barrier strip to be sure there is no strain on the volt meters. They snap into rectangular cutouts and I wanted them to me more secure so i caulked around them with silicone RTV which anchored them in just fine.

Bruce Norton
Kingsport, Tn

Back