What's new
What's new

Why do you use Haas machines?

StreetSpeed

Hot Rolled
Haas machines tend to get a bad rep, and I'm not exactly sure why. Is it because they're 1/3rd the cost of a Matsuura, so one must assume it's 1/3rd the machine? If I had an order for 50,000 titanium impeller blades, that I was gonna be running for the next 3 years straight at full rapids and what not, then perhaps I would look at the Japanese products. But if you're a job shop, running 80-90% of our jobs as short runs, I can't see why you need to spend $400,000 on a VMC. Anyone care to enlighten me? I'd love to hear from someone who uses Haas and the big dollar machines.

I worked for a small job shop for many years and I finally talked my boss into a HAAS SL-20 turning center. This machine is used for steel,stainless, and plastic in runs from 3 to 3000 pcs. Bought it new in 03 have had no problems in any way shape or form, it regularly holds tenths and we had eliminated grinding on on several jobs due to the accuracy and surface finish. When we were looking at it every other salesman had nothing but horrible things to say about Haas in general and they all agreed that Haas would be the biggest mistake we'd ever make. The Haas salesman actually had nothing bad to say about the other guys, all he said was if you want a Haas he'd be happy to sell one, if another make was what we needed then buy that instead. He wanted a happy customer and said Haas sells itself. How right he was 2 yrs later we had a shiny new TM-2 and won't look at any thing else. My boss and I parted company a few years ago and I had be training him on the lathe every now and again to get him used to turning on the SL20 he was going pretty good till last month when he had the firiery crash from h-ll. Thankfully a HAAS can take a crash at full rapid with a 3/4" boring bar hanging out about 8" and just shrug it off!(better him than me on that one, he now runs single block with rapid at 5% first time thru). Thats why we buy HAAS and will continue to do so. The fact that the control is so friendly and fast to learn is another bonus.
Terry

Haas v expensive foreign

In my experience........I program and run a Haas sl-20 lathe w/live tooling and c axis. It does everything that I need for shortruns (20-30). I have no doubt that Mazak, Mori, or other machines of that type will take more "beating" than my Haas. Most of these machines have box ways versus Haas' linear guides. In my opinion, if you're not gonna run "balls to the wall" heavy cuts, 24-7 around the clock. and "tons" of hard to machine parts, use the Mori or Mazak. However, if you arent gonna "max" everything out, Haas is the way to go.......I can't take the "huge" cuts, but I can take more of them.....As for repeatability, I am holding a +- .0004 tolerance on a ductile iron bore with NO trouble. I vote for the Haas.......there..... I've hit the hornets nest.............Opinions are like arseholes....everybody has one................................Mike

Mike, when we looked at the Haas no one around had an SL20 but there was a fellow who had an SL10. He was running all Hastalloy and Inconel for aireospace work and had no trouble cutting I think it was a 2"-8 thread in Inconel, and prefered running the SL-10 over an older Mazak. That was what sold us. If you really want to know why to buy a HAAS ask the man who owns or runs one. Second time I vote for HAAS.
Terry

If you really want to know why to buy a HAAS ask the man who owns or runs one. Second time I vote for HAAS.
Terry

Hey you're preaching to the choir. We have 5 Hass VMCs, and an SL20. I've never wanted for more machine. Maybe I should ask in the other forums "Why DON'T you use Haas machines?" ;)

Got 8 of them, I think the best thing is when there is something wrong, you can get help on the phone and parts the next day at a reasonable price.

I work in a job shop that runs an SL20, VF2 and VF5 and a twin pallet MDC1000??. Admittedly they aren't run 24/7 but we are very satisfied with them; they do all we ask in batches of 2 -1000 in mild steel, stainless and aluminium. Another Haas machine has just been ordered.

SL10, MiniLathe, MiniMill and VF4 w. gearbox here. Ages '01 and newer.
Also, Mori Duraturn 2550.

To date, not a single servicecall to Haas for anything.
The SL10 took care of every turning for 6 years, material AL, Stainless, TI, cobalt and inco.
Have not found a single part I could not turn with ease, altough the HP limits some of the DOC and the rigidity can cause lower toollife.

MiniLathe: without the doubt the most versatile Ganglathe I have ever seen.
8 standard 1" and 1/2" tools constantly mounted and constantly used without any interference issues. Name another ganglathe that can do that.

Both lathes are required to hold .0005 overall on production parts, sometimes as many as 2000 pieces. Other than the ocasional nudge here or there, parts will always be within .0002 of basic.
Never have turned steel or cast iron, only the above mentioned stuff.

Mills:
MiniMIll: '02 vintage, did all of my milling for 4 years. Can't push it because of lack of balls, can't put a big part on it due to lack of room.
But if you obey the machine's limitations, it will mill everything to the same .0005 overall with absolute ease. Again, no steel but often Inco and Ti.
If you can put up with some rattle, it will push 60IPM into AL with a 1/2" EM .625 DOC @ 4500RPM all day long, hold profile and size within .0005 @ 40IPM / 4000RPM.

VF4: The only thing I won't do on it is use a 1" or up inserted cutter for heavy milling. I don't think the Haas Cat40 spindle is really good for that, nor is the cutter good for the spindle. Otherwise that machine is as accurate as anything, fast, reliable, easy to use. Having the 50" table allows an 8" indexer, 2 6" Kurt vises and a 6" DA kurt vise be mounted at all times. It is doing heavy milling as well as abolutely ridiculous 1/32 slots into parts the size of my fingernail.

Do I like them? Yup. Have no reason not to.

How does the Mori compare? Not a completely fair comparison as this is an SL10 vs a 10" Dura but.
It is without a doubt a much more rigid machine, therefore toolife is extended, sometimes by as much as 3x.
Otherwise, it is not faster ( appropriate part size ), nor more accurate ( no temp compensation )

Result: Do I prefer the Mori over the Haas? Mori is a better machine, but not necessarily more capable. I am very glad I choose the Dura over a loaded SL20, and would do it again despite the $25K difference. Will I be getting another Haas lathe? If nothing but simple 2 axis is required, absolutely.
If the MiniLathe was resurrected and slightly redesigned, I'd sign the paperwork for at least one the day it's announced.
Dpending on the economy, I'll likely get a TM-1 for the offhand work within 6 months.
If need arises, the next VMC will undoubtedly be a VF4, perhaps a 50 taper.

My opinion on Haas overall: If you don't have heavy 24-7 operation, most likely a HAAS SL 20,30 or 40 will be a perfect choice for everything.
Similarly, any VF machine that fits the size envelope is a good investment.
Chinese or Taiwanese machines need not apply. For anything.
If a Haas cannot do the job and budget is an issue, may want to look at some of Doosan's offerings. Otherwise a nicely built Japanese equipment is in order.
The Haas control is sound, most user friendly, capable and reliable. Service, support and parts availability is essential if your business relies on the machine for it's survival.

For the record: All current Hurcos or Taiwan made Hardinges can occupy the landfills as far as I'm concerned.

We have 2 SL-20's where I work, one w/live tooling, 2 HL-4's, one w/live tooling, and a VF-1. The original HL-4 was purchased in 1997 & is beginning to show signs of wear (encoder problems, loose spindle bearings), but it'll still hold tenths. The other HL-4 (purchased in 1998 w/C axis) is my favorite lathe...capacity, size, accuracy, it has it all. The tailstock design was changed between the 2 years, and the later one is substantially more rugged & easily adjustable for centering.
Ditto previous comments on the quality of Haas tech advice. Every time we've contacted them they've been extremely helpful (last time for a lightning storm power surge which dusted some settings on the SL-20's).

Because a poor man can't afford to buy cheap stuff! Seriously, though- with machine tools, expensive is an understatement to begin with, but you usually get what you pay for. Are Haas machines uncapable? No; not at all. I ran a CAT40 VF-3 for nearly 9 years, thought it was the cat's meow- it did nearly everything I asked it to very well with very little problems. But I didn't know what I was missing until I got my hands all over Makino's. Would I buy a HAAS? Of course- for many reasons! I'd really like a ToolRoom Mill right now! But if I had money to play with, absolutely not- higher end machines not only hold their value better, but also put money in your pocket quicker, and I would personally look at it from the standpoint of "what CAN'T I afford to have?" I think everyone in this thread has made a valid point for and against Haas and other value priced machines vs. the high end offering. You could do MUCH worse, but you could also do a lot better.

I cannot argue about any reason mentioned here for using a Haas.

Why do they get a bad rap, well they are a commodity machine, fairly inexpensive when compared to its predeccessors (sp) These machines allowed the average joe blow to get into CNC machining years ago when it was only for the "Big Guys". It also put a hurt on those companies and salesman that made and sold those pricey machines, they had to rethink things, calling Haas a cheap piece of crap and getting others to believe that is their arguement.

Why do I use one, well because I have 7 on my floor. Why are they there? Well because they do the job I need them to do quite well and for the buck they make sence. Also when they go down, I have very good support to get them back up and running again. Also I can buy two machine and get one free when compared to the higher quality machines.

Downfall of the Haas machines, light duty so they require more cuts. Tolerances are good but for tighter tolerance lathe work I do use my Emco. The Emco will take heavier cuts, tools will last longer and I can hold tighter tolerances consistantly also the resolutution is of great benefit as I can split tenths...it does make a difference. But for 95% of my work the Haas is more then fine and cannot justify spending more.

As a further anecdote: I was at Methods Machine last week for some EDM training. I went out to a cigar bar with a bunch of service people, as well as the two cuties in sales. I was rapping with one of the lathe service guys who's comment about Haas was that they're decent machines for the money, but "I don't hear too many people calling about 20 year old Haas's, because they just don't last that long." Unfortunately I had a few too many scotches in me at the time to remember to reply back with a witty retort "However, my dad bought the seventh Haas VF-2 that ever rolled off their line, and we just replaced it last year with a new VF-2." So, there's a Haas machine that's been around 20+ years...

"However, my dad bought the seventh Haas VF-2 that ever rolled off their line, and we just replaced it last year with a new VF-2."
Holy cow! :eek: Did Haas want it back? That's a piece of history. I don't know that I could have sold that thing. I'd have kept it around just to prove programs or train or whatever.

I'm hardly a production guy but I had a similar conversation with a sales guy at Westec about five years ago (Mazak I think). He started to tell me how Haas aren't rigid enough and they wear out prematurely, etc, etc.

I stopped him and asked him what a similar machine to the VF-2 would cost. He told me a ballpark number (can't remember exactly). I told him that I couldn't even begin to entertain buying their machine.

I went on to say, "I lay awake at night, dreaming of wearing out a new Haas. I dream of becoming so discerning that I don't ever want to see another one. If I get there, it means that I've outgrown that machine and I'm ready for yours. If not for Haas, I would never even get off the ground."

He kinda' nodded and agreed. It's not the best machine out there but if you need more, you're probably already drowning in work (and potential earnings). If you're that guy, Haas might be your machine or it might not.

I was standing next to a guy in front of the Mazak Integrex this year and he was bitching up a storm about his Haas equipment. He was that guy. He'd outgrown his shop full of Haas equipment. Not a bad place to be IMO.

What's interesting is DMG. Did anybody visit their booth in Kentia Hall at Westec last year? They have a new, low-cost line of machines. They're trying to attract the same entry-level buyers so when they upgrade, they'll stay within the brand.

http://www.dmgamerica.com/us,welcome,welcome

I stopped him and asked him what a similar machine to the VF-2 would cost. He told me a ballpark number (can't remember exactly). I told him that I couldn't even begin to entertain buying their machine.

I went on to say, "I lay awake at night, dreaming of wearing out a new Haas. I dream of becoming so discerning that I don't ever want to see another one. If I get there, it means that I've outgrown that machine and I'm ready for yours. If not for Haas, I would never even get off the ground."

He kinda' nodded and agreed. It's not the best machine out there but if you need more, you're probably already drowning in work (and potential earnings). If you're that guy, Haas might be your machine or it might not.

Somehow you guys seem to forget one other option. There is what is known as a "used market" out there. It's not the same as a "Black Market" as it is actually legal. You can find a used model of that "other" brand that is 5 yrs old for aboot the same $ your gunna spend on that new Haas. Maybe it's better for ego to say that you bought a "new" machine? MAYBE it is better for employee moral to see NEW iron on the floor? (I could go with that arguement...) Maybe it's a security blanket for no repair costs during the life of the payment book? Possibly sacrificing long term for short? Maybe i'd be a worsh?

I didn't realize that Haas was making VMC's as far back as 20 yrs?

I have had a cpl of their rotarys - and I will likely have one aggin? I have never had one of their "machines". I doo however wish that I had a pr of them inhouse ratt now. I did however buy a pr of used Hardinge VMC's that are likely as good or quite possibly better machines. (Tiawan) They seem to be pretty good to me. VERY wide base/column connection has most others beat hands down! Prolly half aggin as wide as even my old Cinci's!

I like Hardinge. I have a cpl of their lathes. GREAT company building great machines. But I would rather had spent my $ on a Yank machine if I'd'a had my ruthers. But these machines came already tooled, prog'd, fixtured, and set-up for semi dedicated runs - that our customer wanted me to take over as the previous supplier got hurt real bad and is outta werk, and so the folks needed to sell the machines. So I figured what the heck, I can always resell them and buy a Haas later, or I was even looking to see what MAG had available, but it looks like their Cinci line is not ready soon yet. And who knows what price market their planning on targeting? (I don't want nutt'n to doo with a Fadal - MAG or not!)

I hafta wonder what the future holds with Hardinge with the new guy runnin' the show. From the artical in the Graff Monthly - Lloyd seemed to dance around the thought that maybe this new guy may bring more of the manufacturing into the States... ???

I would'a likely even bought a used Haas at that. (Heaven forbid?)

So that's my Haas story....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

We actually sold the VF-2 to another shop, and they're using it and thinking it's the greatest thing ever! So, it's still going.

Well, the way I see it. And this is based from me just having manual machines at this time. Been around some cnc's a bit but didn't push the buttons, but talking financially as things to analyze when shopping. If you have the work to keep a machine running and making $. 5yrs or maybe 10yrs down the road. Does it really matter if the machine initially cost 100K vs 150K?
It quickly becomes quite insignificant when you add everything else. Which then makes it a service ( if required) and which one you personally like more type of matter, if possible performance different isn't being considered, or not required for whatever work being done.

They did open up a market which made it easier for more people to start out with cnc's, or to ease into it thats for sure. But many other brands are doing that now too. So the question is, why would you buy a haas today? and most are only saying Service or, "well its what we got, we know them and we stick to them". Which makes sense, normal human behavior but no point getting into psychology. There's also some who simply don't shop, same reason many people drive the same brand of car all their life and never try another one.

Normally the better tougher built machine will outlast the other one, if we talk similar running conditions. Hard to argue that simple fact(excluding occasional lemons that everyone makes). Also consider finishes, and hopefully a real HP rating vs the 1 minute thing. Around here its mostly haas vs. mazaks. We could often tell which shop/machine ran what. Sure the tooling and guy pushing the buttons can influence that a fair bit, but it was there. Do you have to spend extra time "tuning" the parameters/program until it cuts the way you want because somehow the tooling specs are "no good"? would you have to do the same if you had the Makino, or Mori? and if yes, would it take as long until it does what it needs to do?

Personally I'll likely be getting into the cnc's in another year or 2, and I'm not planning to buy the same thing everyone around here has. Service wise it would make sense to, but then how do I get the work? lower shop rate? or maybe what I need is a faster machine for an extra $300 a month? ( by faster I don't mean faster rapids, I mean over time on everything )
I guess the budget will decide.... slightly used is indeed an option I look into.

One scenario that tends to be hard to figure out is. Do you buy 2 haas(or insert other considered "economy" machines), vs 1 great top of the line machine?? slightly tougher decision, unless you only have space for 1 machine :D

I bought my first haas because of familiarity of it, having run them for about 3 years. When I was planning to start my home shop, budget, budget, budget was everything. It had to be affordable and buying brand new was nice. I believe having two new machines is more profitable then one expensive one.

My second haas was the VF4 VMC, having 50 inches in X for around 90K and having a 4th axis rotary has been huge. So by getting more for less money has been a big difference. My pocket book doesn't care about brand loyalty.

If I only get 10 years out of my machines, so be it. I'll buy some new ones.

Ken

Haas machines tend to get a bad rep, and I'm not exactly sure why. Is it because they're 1/3rd the cost of a Matsuura, so one must assume it's 1/3rd the machine? If I had an order for 50,000 titanium impeller blades, that I was gonna be running for the next 3 years straight at full rapids and what not, then perhaps I would look at the Japanese products. But if you're a job shop, running 80-90% of our jobs as short runs, I can't see why you need to spend $400,000 on a VMC. Anyone care to enlighten me? I'd love to hear from someone who uses Haas and the big dollar machines.

I don't think they have a bad reputation at all. But they are what they are.

Here's my Haas story, maybe it will help explain it some:

I work for a large machine tool distribution and import company. I've always worked for the import side of the business. Anyway, twenty years or so ago I was engineering manager. We were at IMTS and the owner gathered, IIRC, four engineering managers from our different divisions and our VP of engineering together and asked us to go over to the Haas booth at some aappointed time and have a look see at this new VMC they had built.

The deal was Haas wanted us to sell the line in several states. Our owner was a bit skeptical and wanted us to evaluate the machine from an engineering standpoint. So we decsend on the booth and some sales type starts putting the hard sell on us. We start peppering the guy with question and he was pretty knowledgable, but soon had to grab another guy for help.

I'm the rookie in our group. Some of the gys I'm with are old time machine tool guys that worked for some big well known American builders in their past. We asked every imaginable question aboout the machine. What is the diameter and pitch of the ball screws? What kind of iron do you use? What class spindle bearings does it have? Power? Thrust? Weight? Dimensions of the base? We poked under the covers, looked into the electrical cabinets, paged through the control, and made lots of notes.

It was clear we were looking at a rather sub par machine built with an old technology homebrew control, motors (they were DC! good gawd!), and drives.

Before we left I asked our host, "How much?" I can't remeber the exact nuber but it was a little over $40,000.00. Huh? So I asked one of the AE managers in our group what Okuma's equivelent size machine retails for and he says "well it's not really the same thing," and tells me what it costs. It was over double the price at the time.

Unlike the other guys, I came out of a job shop background so my thoughts were a little different. We went off to have a little meeting before meeting with the owner. We compared notes and these guys were ripping the machine pretty good. The general consensus was it seemed like a bad idea. I kept bringing up the price. These guys didn't think it was all too important adn it was yet another problem. With the machine being so cheap; how can you afford to support it with the meager amount of money you make when you sell it? My idea was to use rookie service techs fresh out of school.

So we meet with the owner of our company and these guys start running through all the reasons why it's a bad idea to take the line. All while ripping the technical merits of the machine. Finally he turns to me and says, "you've been awfully quiet, do you agree with these guys?" I told him that I didn't. I felt at the price they were asking Haas was going to sell sh**loads of these things. I told him that if you apply the Pareto principle you'll see that this machine can do 80% of the work out there for not a lot of money.

The other guys objected some saying the machine was slow, weak, full of old technology, and probably unreliable. I countered with the technology might be old, but it's proven. Plus the target isn't the guy milling Inconel on an Okuma. It's the job shop with a dozen Bridgeports doing low quantity work. The machine costs 4-5x as much as a tricked out knee mill. Even in the hands of a complete moron they should be 10x more productive with the Haas over a knee mill.

We batted it around some more and in the end we took on the line. Right away they started selling them by the truckload.

I have two friends that run HFO's. It's still a tricky deal to make money selling Haas. Especially during downturns. The machines still lag comfortably behind in technology. I walked around a bit at IMTS this year looking at all the cool new stuff. I wandered over to Haas toward the end of my walk and the machines seemed incredibley slow compared to the high end stuff I was just gawking at least 5-10 years behind, I'd say.

So what? If you are doing low lot sizes of work that doesn't pay all that much then Haas is just the ticket. If it breaks, no other low cost builder has the service and parts network that they do, so the risk is small.

I also don't buy the "disposable" argument. When you get right down to it, Haas' machines are older technology built with mostly mid grade components. But it can all be repaired. So there's no reason the machine can't be kept running for twenty years. The real problem is that a twenty year old Haas is not competitive speed and power wise today. But if you're in your garage just starting out and have very low overhead, then maybe you can compete with an ancient one. For a little while anyway.

The analogy I like to make is that the times today technology wise are like the Middle Ages (Feudal Times). The Middle Ages lasted for 1,000 years. Why didn't the serfs rise up and rebel? Because the kings had the wealth to spend on expensive technologies like chain mail, body armour, horses, and swords. The serfs had sticks and long bows. Neither of which could pierce chain mail or armour. Then along came the crossbow and the dart. It changed the whole game.

Cheap PC's and cheap CNC's are the same deal. They put computing power and capability within reach of the ordinary guy's budget. 30 years ago only the biggest companies had comptuers and NC machines. Now almost anybody can have one.

That being said, the bigger guys are buying more expensive more capable machines and software. A HMC with pallets will smoke a Haas when measured productivity per labor unit. Same with high speed machining. It has changed the mold industry.

Eliminating labor is where it's at today. Otherwise you will find yourself losing work to the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) nations. They have plenty of cheap labor and their work force isn't nearly as uneducated as it used to be.

A Haas at best in most job shops has around a 40% spindle utilization rate. The rest of the time it's being set up, parts are being swapped out, the operator wasn't there when the cycle was done, etc. And when it is running it is running slower than a better machine.

There is way too much direct labor in those machines for most places to stay competitive forever. Like everything else, the higher end multi function lathes, 5-axis mills, and palletized machining centers are coming down in price.

And so it goes...

" higher end machines not only hold their value better"

That's definitely not the case around here (Northern California). I'm amazed at how much used Haas machines go for when they're even available, often over half the original price for 10 year old machines, and more if they're newer.

I know because I've been watching for a reasonable deal on a used Haas, but at the prices being offered it doesn't make much sense to buy a used one.

Paul T.

We have a HS-1 we use to internal theadmill long tubes. We bought it because it was the only fixed table horizontal available with a large enough work window to machine up to 14" od.
The only gripe I have is it is not made any more.
The machine we bought to expand this operation was a Kira:bawling:

Back