What's new
What's new

Haas HL4 Tailstock aligment

doug925

Titanium
When I got back from lunch, I found that the new guy did not hear my lead man tell him "...come get me before restarting the program"
They swapped out inserts, and for some reason the FNG hit cycle start when the tailstock was still in the way.:angry:

Okay, no major screw up, as nothing appears to be damaged.
however the tailstock is no longer on center.

How does one realign the tail stock?
There appears to be a "headed bushing" that has the MT4 taper inside. It appears to be located on the tailstock by 3 SHCS's radially around the head of the bushing.

Is that the adjustment, 0r is there something somewhere else to adjust it back in. It looks as though the center is about .125" off.

I still have parts to run that need the center over the weekend.:rolleyes5:

So I cannot wait for Haas to come fix it.

Thanks all,

Doug.

Doug,
My '02 SL-20 has an open rectangular casting that sits on top of the large tail stock casting and holds the center bushing. The bushing can be loosened to make very small alignment adjustments. The smaller casting holding the bushing can be loosen to make those large adjustments.

For a quick fix I wold install a center, loosen the smaller casting and jog the center into a part that has a center hole drilled into it....snug up the bolts...jog away...re-tighten the smaller casting. Mount an indicator on/in the spindle and loosen the center bushing, now sweep the ID of the bushing...re-tighten the bushing when your satisfied.

Do you use the crash(setting #93 and #94)protection "force field"? Obviously it wasn't in use when it crashed. It took calling Haas to get a understandable explanation on how to use it. I read the manual 'till I was blue in the face...sheeesh....it shoulnt be that hard!
Good luck,
Carl

It sounds like you might have a '97 or earlier HL-4. Ours was a nightmare whenever there was any kind of impact event. As you've noticed, there is very little adjustment on that bushing. There may be additional adjustment somewhere, but whenever we had the Haas guy come out, he'd loosen the cap screws & try to get it aligned the best he could. On our '98 HL-4 the tailstock was completely redesigned, being much sturdier & having a conventional opposing set screw adjustment on a slide. Piece of cake, if you have the later design.
Sorry to say, but you'll probably have to start programming in some counter-taper. Also, it might be prudent to program in a tailstock-retract at the beginning of your program...to hopefully avoid any repetition of the event.

Thanks guys.

This is a '97 model.
Not too much adjustment.
The center is off about .125 :eek:
Haas is supposed to be here tomorrow afternoon to fix the F'up.
They told me anywhere from 30 minutes, to 1/2 day to re-align.

Doug.

Argh! The Haas tech's told me it will take up to two days to realign the turret/ wedge, and a day or two to realign the tailstock!:eek::willy_nilly:

Ouch, so much for a 1K fix!

Well, it turns out it was a 4K alignment. OUCH!
They spent 3 days tweaking it back in an realigning the turret, and TS.
It is still out .001" on the side, but i can program it out.:crazy:

Never want to deal with that.

What did they do exactly. Is it the Bearing Rails or Nuts they tweak or is there adjustments. Do they run indicators thru the travel range?

Thanks and sorry for your pain.

Never want to deal with that.

What did they do exactly. Is it the Bearing Rails or Nuts they tweak or is there adjustments. Do they run indicators thru the travel range?

Thanks and sorry for your pain.

Sim,

They had to loosen the tailstock bolts and use a knockometer (2lb sledge) to bring the TS back into alignment. It was off .003 below center, and .005 outwards along Z.
On my year HL-4, there is no allowance for adjustment. No jackscrews, no nothing!:rolleyes5:
They told me they could get it back to perfect by removing, regrinding, and shimming the tailstock. OUCH! That would have been more then the machine is worth.

They also had to loosen the "wedge" (X axis) and realign it every way possible. The turret disk was off by .009" parallel to X, above centerline, and X was off a bit in relation to Z:eek:

All that translates into a big bill!

Doug.

ETA, the live center was also bent by about .06" :eek: This is a MT4 too!

Back