What's new
What's new

Stiff spindle on SL-10

SIM

Titanium
I have been noticing the spindle is a bit tuff to turn once in awhile on my SL-10. I have loosened the spindle liner and removed collet, no change. Then sometimes it just turns like the day I bought it. Wondering if anyone has ever had that happen on there machines. If so what was it?

She cranks up and runs with no issue but... I'll put a call into service later. Hope it's not coolant in the bearings or something, but then it would run rough all the time I would think... maybe the belt rubbing?

When you say it is stiff to turn, can you turn it at all, or will it maintain one stopped position?

Perhaps the spindle drive is providing a holding torque of some sort, as in maintaining a zero speed command, instead of 'un-enabling' the drive when the spindle is at rest. I don't know how this sort of problem could come and go, unless it were something silly like a poor connection of some sort of the I/O between the drive and the control.

Frank, how did you clean?

HuFlungDung, I thought that was possibility especailly after I ran a job with spindle orientaion, thought maybe it was hanging something up. But some days it just spins freely with one hand, sometimes it take a reall good grip to get it to turn other times it will spin easliy for a partial rotation then snug up. I'm thinking Frank is onto the issue.

It is a ring on the outer most diameter and next to the headwall.
Sometimes you have to take off your chuck or collet system to remove the ring.
The ring is normally 1.5-2 inches thick.

Frank I am sort of familiar with the Ring at least on other machines, thats when I realized you where onto the problem. What I was asking, on the Haas Lathe is there any procedure for removing and reinstalling. On my other machine I had jacking screws around the race and they wanted it replaced at a certain torque.

Either way, I'll give it a whirl later.

Haas had me going in another direction and avoided the Labrinth Cap, even after asking them about it.

Thanks

Yup pretty simple straight forward task. Removed the the bolts holding it in and it slipped right off and gave it a cleaning. Not really alot of chips or fines to speak of but dryed glopped coolant all around. Put it back in, locked it up and it seems good as new. Of course this morning was one of those days it just seemed to spin okay from the get-go.

For anyone else looking to do this, make sure you clean the machine out really well especially around and above the spindle before starting. The SL-10s bearings are right there in your face when you slide that ring off. On my other machines they are set back a tad and would take some doing to get chips and dirt to fall into the bearings.

Thanks Frank.

Back