What's new
What's new

EC-400 Chip auger problems

steel hand

Cast Iron
We had a vise jaw carrier fall off and jam one of the chip augers. We started taking it apart, looking for shear pins, etc. The motor attaches to the auger with what appears to be a split collar with a clamp. The inside of the collar and the shaft both have key slots. We have not found a key yet... So my question is, is this the way Haas implements a breakaway feature on these machines? The collar attaching the auger to the motor just clamps on the shaft? Anyone have experience with one of these?

Don't know if this will help you.

But my VF5 runs various materials and sometimes a week or so of running dry milling Cast Iron.

If the operator doesn't clean the machine before turning the coolant on.

We have seen the Iron chips in the Auger form solid blocks.

I only hear of these things after they happened, But I did see the auger stall and had to be backed up and turned forward numerous times while the operator chipped the block up into smaller pieces.

The Auger stopped or stalled and you could still hear the motor running without a breaker or fault showing up.

We also clean the machine between different materials for recycling purposes.

And the common practice in the larger machines is to throw a PIG into the auger at the end of cleaning and this cleans the outgoing chute of the previous material.

The Haas auger has often stalled while trying to push the pig through the chute. We are going to cut our chute down so it just clears the chip tubs on wheels to make it easier to clean the chute.

So on this new VF-5 I believe the auger has a clutch or slip fit somewhere.

Good Luck with yours.

Mohawk

We have an 02 sl-10 that the auger has stalled numerous times. It just stops, reverses, then starts again. Just like the haas brochure says. I had to take it out to remove the chip pan to clean the integral coolant tank. It had a cap screw and nut that joined the coupler to the screw, I didn't check how the other end of the coupler was attached to the motor.

How old is your vf5 mohawk? Maybe the mills don't have the jam protection the lathes have. Btw, that's a great idea using the pig pad to clean out the chips. :cheers:

I think that Mohawk is referring to a "pig" in a general text as anything put inline to flush out the system. Term used regularly in the oil piping systems as I understand.

I think Ed was referring to the "New Pig" line of oil absorption pads, rolls, etc that you may have around some of your machines to contain spills and leaks. This would act just fine as the "pig" that was referred to in the begining.

-----------

... of course I kood be wrong
Ox

Yeah, new pig absorption pads. They work great. we use them all over the shop. They are easy to clean up compaired to oil dry. we actually use them on top of benches to set tools, and on our carts to absorb coolant after machining. We were going through a ton of them when we had a TM-1 aka the sloppy jalopy :)

Thought I should report what we found ...

Tore it apart, and it appears that when the vise jaw carrier jammed the auger, the helix of the auger pulled it out of the shaft coupling. Just a keyway/setscrew setup, with the mating outer coupling having a slotted bore with a clamp. We never did find the key, that's why I posted the question in the first place. We reassembled it with a new key. Also have not seen anything that would allow a controlled slip of the auger or breakaway feature in the event of a jam. I have never witnessed them reverse, but I don't run the machine. All seems fine now.

We had a vise jaw carrier fall off and jam one of the chip augers. We started taking it apart, looking for shear pins, etc. The motor attaches to the auger with what appears to be a split collar with a clamp. The inside of the collar and the shaft both have key slots. We have not found a key yet... So my question is, is this the way Haas implements a breakaway feature on these machines? The collar attaching the auger to the motor just clamps on the shaft? Anyone have experience with one of these?

The key is the weakest point of the system, but all Haas augers are designed to automatically reverse momentarilly when the load gets to high then goes forward again. It can do this several times in order to clear a jammed auger.

Glad you got things figured out though.

Back