What's new
What's new

TL-2 Question

xyzzy

Aluminum
I am looking at purchasing a TL-2 and one of the things that I would like to do is occasionally use the machine as a true manual machine. I recently went over to the local HFO for a demo and tour of the machine.

The handwheels seem like a bit of an afterthought and not all that useful in real life. There is so much mechanical inertia that I have a hard time imagining using them smoothly or precisely. There are other machines (Romi, for example) where the handwheels are encoder driven and there is a complete set of controls on the apron which seems much more useful for a quick manual job.

In addtion the handwheels seem like a safety hazard. I would have thought there would have been a mechanism for the handwheels to free float disconnected during automated operations.

Any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks.

We've got a TL-3 at work that I use quite regulary. Occasionally I will use the lathe as a manual machine to quickly face a part or to turn something down. For me it seems to work just about as good as any manual machine that I have ever used.

The IPS is so easy to use on the Haas control that once you're comfortable with it, you can perform quick turning and facing operations at least as fast as you can on a manual machine. Add a radius or chamfer to your part and you can't beat it.

As for the handwheels when running in CNC mode, they will "snag" you if you're not careful and aware of your surroundings.

Chris

Some people remove the handles for those very reasons. I like them. The early machines had long handles. The later ones have stubby handles and aren't nearly as prone to whack you (I have the stubby ones).

I wish they had used the handwheels with folding handles, present on a lot of open CNC knee mills. I suppose I could change them myself but the red ones are so purty. :D

Haas did everything they could to reduce cost and I'm sure that's one of the sacrifices.

I've had a TL-1 for 5 years. I like it.
Yes the handwheels are heavy, but for as little as you will be using them you will get used to it. With the IPS system after a little time you will find yourself setting up turning ID, OD, etc. automatically in 10 seconds.

We have a TL-1 and a TL-3 here at work. We don't like those handles either...They do work ok and for a quickie type of job and setting the X and Z zeros they work fine....You do get used to them.

The thing I don't like is how darned heavy the tailstock on the TL-3 is....The machine is new and it is either heavy or tight...

The control takes some getting used to, but seems to be fine...The newer one needs more inputs than the older one, but it has features that the older one doesn't have.

Andy Pullen

Other wheels could be fitted. Reidsupply.com has these for example -

JCL-1530_ImageC.jpg

Eh. I work on my machine with the older long handles on all day long, no big deal. You let that X axis handle hit you in the boys once and you won't let it happen again. You can take the protruding handle part off on both wheels in about a minute for longer repeat jobs.

Think the better question is "why" would anyone build a machine that can run automatic and has spinning handles with knobs on them????
American conventional milling machines like Cincinnati have had clutched hand wheels since the 40's.....
I don't buy cost as an answer...Haas could buy handles like Mud shows and i would wager that they could get them cheaper (in bulk) than the cost of making what they have.
Further, i am also surprised that the TL machines do not have any kind of E-stop button on the headstock or apron where it might actually be useful in a panic situation....It is more likely that one would be facing the spindle when watching a program run for the first time and not the control, so i would think an e-stop button more in the direction you were facing would be a good thing.

Also the tail stock clamping system (at least on the TL2 i saw at my local HFO) was a total joke.....giant handle poking out the side of the tail stock base, which if not positioned correctly could run into the apron....I mean come on guys does this seem OK?

IMHO the TL' s seem to have received the full effect of the Haas control and pretty much missed much in the mechanical design department.

Cheers Ross

Other wheels could be fitted. Reidsupply.com has these for example -

JCL-1530_ImageC.jpg
Yup, those are the ones I was thinking of. They're pretty pricey and I don't get whacked by the knobs anymore. They would have been a better choice though.

Further, i am also surprised that the TL machines do not have any kind of E-stop button on the headstock or apron where it might actually be useful in a panic situation.
Yeah, I've thought the same thing. I'd guess that you could wire a loop out of the pendant and install as many panic and interlock switches as you want. I haven't bothered.
Also the tail stock clamping system (at least on the TL2 i saw at my local HFO) was a total joke.....giant handle poking out the side of the tail stock base, which if not positioned correctly could run into the apron....I mean come on guys does this seem OK?

Yup, but I literally just fixed that a week ago. If you unthread it, you see that it's just a 3/4" threaded rod. I bought an adjustable (repositionable) handle from McMaster. It looks great, works great and doesn't get in the way. The biggest problem with the factory handle is you can't loosen the tailstock without moving the apron out of the way. I got really sick of that.

We bought a new TL2 a couple of years ago and just love, it thought the "hand crank" would be nice however, after getting use to the electronic hand wheel I realized the "hand" wheels are not needed. The encoder turns so much smoother and the surface finish is alot better when doing a quickee. Get the sheet metal and if possible the turret, you will be much happier.

Back