What's new
What's new

cut I.D. key on SL30 Bigbore?

COOLCUT

Plastic
Has anyone been broaching I.D. keys one these machines? Was wondering how mine would hold up to doing this. The key is 3/8", mat"l. is 1018 and I don"t have many to do. The old slotter we have is very worn, and a pain to set up. I was going to start the spindle on the Haas at a slow RPM, then shut it off. would this keep the spindle from rotating, or should I build a lock for it. The lock would be easy to make because the machine has a 4" collet on it now,but if I don"t have make the lock, well I won"t. Any suggestions?
BTY, the I.D. is less than 3".

One of the aluminum aerospace parts we make requires a shallow .093" wide face slot. This is usually done on an SL-20 with axial live tooling. We have done it on another SL-20 WITHOUT live tooling using a broach. It wasn't my program & I didn't run it...but the parts were accepted, so the results must've been good. Personally, I'd feel a bit queasy about the lack of an M14 spindle clamp, but if you take shallow passes, it might very well work.
I wonder if M14 is live tooling machine specific???

Thank John, good point on the M14, I'll check that out. The SL30 Bigbore has a SL40 head stock, max RPM is 2500. It is realy hard to turn buy hand when stoped at low RPM. If I build the locking ring, I'll slot it every 15 deg. so I can index keys if needed later on. This will make the fixture more complex, but I hate half doing something when I build a fixture. Of corse the locking pin or key will need to shear easily.

You should be able to use M19, Spindle Orient. Not that pricey to buy or you can activate the demo for 200 hrs or so before you decide to lay out the cash.

I have done a little broaching myself with the machine, SL-10 and a small key in an alum hub. Worked fine. I asked Haas about it before I tried and the responce was ...well expected, they do not recommend it as the spindle bearings are not meant for that kind or non rotating shock.

I also used to position heavy items inside my VF-1 using the headstock as a lifting device, again not recommended but it worked and more importantly it saved my back.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try doing this next time we need to key, The job got done on the old slotter this time, but I'll be ready next time with a program to add to the end of the part program. Doing this should not be any harder on the machine than an interupted rough cut ??? I've cut keys with the quill on a Bridgeport.

Back