What's new
What's new

Unloading TM-2 questions ...

mbraddock

Hot Rolled
We've ordered a TM-2 that will be here in a few weeks. I'm trying to decide whether we need to hire a rigger or not. The machine on its skid weighs approximately 4100 pounds. Does anyone know Haas' recommendation for lifting the TM-2 off its skid? They sent the general page on lifting their vertical CNC mills from underneath with a forklift, but I was curious if anyone has more specific instructions or wisdom after doing this themselves.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Mike

you can lift it from the bottom. they give you lotsa room to get forks in. The Wraping paper and pallet are the hardest thing about it. Save the wrap. It makes a hellava tarp.

I did our TM-1 when we got it and I loaded it when we sold it. It wasn't bad. I needed some fork extensions since our forks were only 42" long and the pallet was pretty big. Our lift truck is a 5500# lift. It's a little top heavy but other than that it was easy.

Thanks guys!

Were you able to fork it from the front and position it directly in place, or can you not do that? We have a 5000 pound fork truck and fork extenders, so we should be in good shape there. Should we get some large ratchet straps we can loop around the front and bring back to the mast on the forklift, or were you okay with just the fork extenders?

Thanks again!

Mike

I left mine on the skid until I got it into the shop. It's not a big deal to move the machine when it's bolted to the skid. After the machine was in the shop I lifted it from the side under the main casting without the fork extensions to remove the skid and put it in place. It was a little more tedious without the skid because the machine is kinda top heavy. I had the extended backsplash option and the side I was lifting it from I removed for more clearance. I think these are standard on the bigger tm's.

Once off the pallet we moved ours around the shop with a pallet jack with 2- 2X6's stacked on each fork and lifted from the side.

Our TM-1 was on the truck so that the front of the machine ended up against the forks. If that's the way it has to go in, you'll probably want ot set it, remove the massive pallet, and pick it again. It's narrower in front than on the sides, though, so it might get tippy.

Sort-of related: We unloaded the machine in the pouring rain last fall. Truck was there at 7am, maintenance crew to unload and drive the forklift at 8am. The driver and I could see the heavy rain coming in about 20 minutes out. But our crew doesn't _ever_ go on the clock until 8:30. Could've gotten it inside before then, but nope. We had to wait till 8:30, then unload in the downpour. (Not that I'm mad - they're the ones that got soaked. Go figure.)

Thanks for all the input! We got it unloaded and moved into place without drama, so that was good :). We off-loaded it, forked it from the side, removed it from the skid and rolled it into place with two pallet jacks. Haas should be coming out next week to do the install and boot it up, then it's back to business making parts! Hopefully this will make a nice addition to our VF-2 so we don't have to switch back and forth between running coolant and running dry for foam, plastics and magnesium.

On a related note, does anyone have any photos of how they ran an air hose on the machine? It doesn't come with a plumbed air port like our VF-2 or SL-10, so we'll have to add something.

Also, the Rennishaw tool probe is now wireless, so that's a change since we bought our VF-2. I'll post some photos when we're up and runnng.

Thanks again for your helpful input guys!

Mike

Renishaw Wireless Probe

Hi Mike,

I am a newbie to the CNC world. I purchased a TM-1P in January 2008 with the Renishaw Wireless Probe and Tool Setter. I love it.

The batteries will last about 6 months. If you get the numbers off the batteries you can probably find them at a better price at one of your local battery stores like Batteries Plus. Good to get a spare set when it gets close to the 6 month time. They always quit when you are in the middle of a job or late one Friday afternoon. The probe and tool setter both use the same batteries on my Renishaw system.

Just something to keep in mind.

John

Yep, it has a regulator and filter. It just doesn't have a plumbed port on the front of the machine for an air gun. I'll just drop one from the ceiling. I just wanted to check if I was missing something uber-obvious :). Thanks guys.

Mike

Air Gun

Hi Mike,

Does your new machine have a PCOOL option? If so, you could make a little bracket like I did and attach it to the pcool nozzle and you have a programmable height air nozzle that would have individual settings for each tool utilized. I currently use mine with a Henirich air foot pedal but it could also be actuated via an M Code relay. I am working on a system that will allow you to program short bursts of air to keep the chips clear during the machining process. It will also have other features to assist the machinist in providing air and coolant to their project.

John

Attachments

• P4200020a.jpg
    P4200020a.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 298
  • P4200029b.jpg
    P4200029b.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 159
John,

Nope, I didn't get the PCOOL option. I have an old air/oil mister off another CNC that I am going to use and just adjust the nozzles manually between tool changes. I got a coolant pump harness with the machine, so I'll be able to control my mister solenoid with M8/M9...

Mike

On my smallest VF-5 I ran my Air under the machine to the front using 1/2" black iron pipe and up the front to the right of the door. Then a Quick disconnect and short length of Air hose for a sprayer or belt sander, Whatever the operator needs. I also have two air connections to the right end of machine for the pallet Loading stations.

I couldnt drop from the ceiling as I have an overhead gantry crane for loading the 48" x 24" Hydraulic Pallets to the load station on change over.

Plus the overhead crane is used at time for Maintenance for spindle work or whatever.

Good Luck

Mohawk

Back