What's new
What's new

Bearing going on Spindle motor

Phil H

Plastic
I have a 2001 VF-2 that has been making an intermitent noise like a bearing going out or something loose for a while. It has recently gotten a lot worse. Earlier we could stop and restart the spindle and it would go away. Now it is all the time.
I had a Haas Tech come out last week and he says it is the bearing on top of the motor going bad.
Their only solution is to replace the spindle motor.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? We are thinking about seeing if we can remove the cover off the top of the motor and replace the bearing. If not, then get an elctric motor repair shop to look at it.

There has to be a cheaper solution than replacing the motor.

Any suggestion are appreciated

Yeah, if the problem is a bearing, then why would you need to change the motor? A few quid extra for haas, methinks.

Sounds like a DIY bearing change to me.

Last edited:
I bought a used VF3 at auction in early July 08,and didn't get it started till September.Same thing.I sprayed the belt with belt dressing and it went away , although I think it could have been a dry spindle bearing from sitting as.See the post about haas chirping.Maybe not enough oil flow.

I think you can just buy the spindle cartrige it self. And its a pretty easy fix slip out the old and put in the new. I say half a days work with a go fer guy even quicker. but im not 100% on what bearing your talking about.

My haas tech told me some time back that he will not go into the motors anymore...period. With that said he explained to me how I can do it if I should so choose.

His reasoning was simple and straight forward:
-If he goes in and can't fix it it's lost time and he gets grief.
-If goes in and gets it running, he gets grief as it took too long.
-If something should go "wonky" and the motor is shot, he gets grief.
-If he goes in and gets it running then something fails down the road, it's because of
something he did and he gets grief.

If he puts in a new motor, after the iniatial sticker shock the customer is happy to have the machine back on line and forgets about the price...if something should go "wonky" it's not his fault, it's just one of those things...

Bad cogs on spindle encoder belt will cause "bad bearing" noise on our VF-5/50. It will eventually also cause spindle orient position problems. The RPM display on the screen should not fluctuate much at all (maybe 1 rpm). If speed is fluctuating 2 or 3 rpm, this could be the problem. Again, this made the top end of the motor sound just like a bad bearing. After replacing the encoder belt, it went right back to smooth running.

Kevin

Back