What's new
What's new

Haas with Renishaw Probe System......

67Cuda

Banned
I'm in the process of specking out a machine for the company I work for. It's basically coming down to the Haas Mini Mill 2 with the Renishaw probe system and 4th axis ready, or the Hurco VM-10.

Is the Renishaw a useable option, or is it mostly fluff. Haas demonstrated it at their showroom and it looked handy to have for setting up tools and work pieces, or going and probing a feature and automatically adjusting the cutter comp to finish to size for tight tolerance features. But is it something that once you have, you can't do without?

I've never run a Haas, but I have a Hurco. Just trying to get more information from those that know.

Thanks,
Tom

I have a VF-2ss with probing and now that I've experienced it, I would never in a million years have a mill without probing. WELL worth the money in my opinion.

It depends on your environment. I have the probing system on my personal machine and would never want to work with it any other way. If I broke it, I'd stop until I could get it fixed.

When you have parts that use two or more tools to machine features that are toleranced to one-another, there is no substitute for that tool presetter.

The probe makes work offsets a no-brainer. And that's just the basic use of the system.

The problem comes in if you work in an environment where the machines are shared and there is no discipline in how they are set up. At my day job, they break the setup every shift. Some guys take the presetter off, use the probes pocket for a tool, or just zero out all of the offsets because they don't care.

Add in the fact that the tool presetters have been crashed into on two different machines and the system is now junk. The company is too cheap to replace the presetter and the employees didn't take care of the system. It's their loss.

I will be the only one operating the machine. So far it looks like the Haas will be the best machine in terms of setup and part checking for accuracy.

Is it fairly intuitive and can you use it with cam systems?

Tom

Like everyone else said, once you've got a Renishaw probe system you'll never get another machine without one. I have 2 Haas's with them and 2 without, and I've ALMOST got my Dad convinced we need to retrofit the other 2.

As for programming them with a CAM system, I have never heard of such a feature, but if it exists someone be sure to let me know! That would be sweet.

Renishaw Wireless Probe

67 Cuda,

I am a hobbyist machinist with a 2008 HAAS TM-1P. Out of all the options and accessories I purchased with the machine the Renishaw Wireless Probe and Wireless Tool Setter is my favorite. This was my first new CNC machine.

You will love it. I have a couple of little info videos on my website gallery on the Renishaw probing system. Check them out for a couple of grins. www.helicopterjohn.com

John

Renishaw Wireless Probe

I have a 2008 VF-3YT running with the probe, we do alot of one off parts and it is still the best option on the machine.
Get them to throw in extra batterys for the probe and tool setter (each are the same and take 2 each)and extra break-aways for the tool setter.
Ron

I have the opportunity to purchase the Marposs probing as an add-on to my VF4 right now at a reasonable discount.
I'm still on the fence with it as I think some of the features available for the Renishaw are not there out of the box for the Marposs.
Does anyone have experience with them here?
Mainly what I'm thinking about is to incorporate the toolsetting into my programs, coded after the M30. I want to load the tools into the carousel, load the program and simply run the setting once.
The problem I have is that there is no "quickcode" eqivalent to do this. For the Renishaw there is a line that loads L1, L2, L3 etc etc, with each L# representing the tool number. This does not exist for the Marposs.
Also, as far as I know there is no broken tool detection feature for the Marposs, at least not out of the box.

Can someone tell me otherwise???

I would recommend the probing 100% Like these guys say, once you have it, it is a no brainer that you should have had it all along! :D

It is a total time saver.

Howdy SeymourDumore,

I'm not sure about the differences between the Marposs Probing System and the Renishaw Probing System.

After a quick trip to the Marposs website and poking around a bit, It looks identical. It may just be the price.

But any how, Back to the Probing on the Haas.

Even after so many years and here having so many machines 73 right now and with virtually all of them having some kind of probing system.

I have fallen in love with the Haas probing software on the control.

Tool Setting and Part Probing software makes Genius's out of my Dumbest Operators. And you all know we each have some "Dumb as a Box of Rocks" Operator that Sleep Works through each day.

The Haas Probing is the best I have seen and is a joy to use.

Kind of Like a New Toy for us to play with.

This is "No Fear" Probing and you know how we all used to cringe when probing for the first time as the Probes are So Damn Expensive.

We now have Tool Setting and Part Probing on All 3 of our HAAS and a New one on the way.

We now have an EC1600 and VF-7 and a VF-5 and if HAAS would get their head out of their ass and make a bigger Pallet Pool System we would not have to put up with this Midaco Junk.

Ahhhh, I'm running off again.

C Ya

Mohawk

going to part/tool probe is like going from a stick shift Pinto to an automatic Cadi. We have a VF-5/50 with it and I wont look back.

Hey G-Coder, what kinda parts you makin' with that 50?

The owner of the company is building a 40' yacht out of carbon fiber and titanium and the VF5/50 with a Varimill II will butcher the Ti. Ive ran alluminum in it but the spindle maxes out at 5K and I cant realy make chips fast enough. We leave the alum for the Mazak guys.

I did find out that the Marposs Probe system has a 3 year warranty and the price is cheaper than the Renishaw. I was talking to our Maintenance team yesterday. I found we have a couple installed on the big Mills in Large Castings and maintenance loves the Marposs Probes over the Renishaws.

Just FYI

Mohawk

I am currently machining on HAAS VF3 with Renishaw probing system, that includes the spindle probe and the tool touch pad. The probing system and the probing routines makes work coordinates and tool offsets establishing a lot easier. The probing programs are versatile and easy to understand, all of them in template or conversational format. e.g. establishing location or position of a diameter's center, boss' center, top of a surface, length and width of a part, corner of a vise etc.:)

Actually, if I was to compare both side by side not knowing the details, I would choose the Marposs for 2 reasons.
First, the spindle probe is longer and more slender, allowing a deeper probing depth. Can be adavntageous for checking wall straightness.
The other is that the table probe is a full round disc mounted on a round base.
There is now side obstruction which allows a little more flexibility in picking up tools such as shellmills. Also, if you were to make the inevitable screwup, you would only be busting the tip of the probe and not damaging the base.
Of course, during the proper screwup you can machine the probe right off the table either way....

Some of the devil is in the details tough, as you cannot plunk in a single line of code and pick up a number of tools.
Also, there is no automatic (quickcode) pickup function for shellmills.
Also do not know how'd you pick up a chamferingtool using it's effective diameter instead of it's tip.

Renishaw Probes

Here is a link to a site that has a listing of various styli for the Renishaw probes. They come in various lengths and sizes for different probes and applications.

http://renishawstyli.com/M4_Styli/M4_Straight_Stylus.htm

The one that came with the Wireless probe was Renishaw Stylus Part No. A-5000-3709- RC/NP I think it is 50mm in length.

It looks like you can get them in 100mm in length if desired with different sized ruby tips.

Just something you may want to look at.

John

Back