What's new
What's new

Change offset on Haas

TimH

Hot Rolled
Easy question. I usually keep a vice on my Haas TM2 with the corner of the vice as my zero. I would like to also mount an angle plate on the machine and have corner zeroed also. Is it possible set g55 or g56 or something so that the display will read x 0 y 0 without changing g54 so I can return the zero to the vice corner?

Set your angle plate up and set up G55 for it.
If you want your readout to show in relation to G55 instead of G54 just go to MDI and execute a G55 only command.

In MDI
G55;
Cycle start.

This should change your display to reference G55.

Easy as that.

Set your angle plate up and set up G55 for it.
If you want your readout to show in relation to G55 instead of G54 just go to MDI and execute a G55 only command.

In MDI
G55;
Cycle start.

This should change your display to reference G55.

Easy as that.

Thanks, but thats what I tried. It didn't work. At least it didn't change the value of the read out. If I programed g55 g00 x0 y0 it would travel to the corner of the angle plate but the values on the readout would be the distance from the original g54 setting.

Hmmm?

I will run through it in the morning. Maybe I missed something.

Although there may be a difference in my antique and your newer machine.:)
As I recall the 2001 at work is a little different in this respect.

Yup, you did.
On a Haas - unfortunately - the display will cancel the actual tool position the moment you cancel out of MDI.
The way to do it is in MDI you type:
G55
G00 X0 Y0

You then zero the operator coord and then move to wherever you want to to find the actual work 0 or to display the proper coords.
This is one of the few bones I have with the Haas control. As soon as you hit RESET the default work coord becomes G54, but even then it will not show the actual position with respect to G54. The only recourse you have is the operator display.

Yup, you did.

You then zero the operator coord .

So there is no way to zero operator coords, other than setting g54 to the new coord of the angle plate. Haas should fix this. If I remember correctly the machine can be set to emulate a Fanuc control. Would that help. I have a machine at my real job that what ever g** offset you use the display reads from that offset. Its on a Fagor control

Yes, you can zero the operator coords wherever and whenever you want to.
The point was to move to a known X/Y location in your choice of coord system, and then zero the operator display in order to localize the coords.
That way the oper screen will display where you actually are in that woork coord.
I'm not sure why HAAS zeroes the coord. display, but it is done because the default offset is G54.
Now, you can change the settings so RESET and M30 will not reset the default G, in which case the machine will not revert back to G54 on it's own, but that also means that any modal G code will also remains.
I do not like that approach as you always need to reset all defaults in your program or in MDI.

Why not just go MDI, Handle jog, then offset move over to where ever you want to go for your zero (angle plate) via hand control and highlight the G55 area and then hit work coordinate offset or whatever the button is under F4.

Why not just go MDI, Handle jog, then offset move over to where ever you want to go for your zero (angle plate) via hand control and highlight the G55 area and then hit work coordinate offset or whatever the button is under F4.

What I am trying to do is move the display x/y zero coords to a corner of my angle plate. It seems the only way to do that is to change my g54 offset. Then I would have to reset to go back to the vice x/y zero coords. It wouldn't be a problem if I was running a program. But I want to do this and manually position the machine from the new x/y zero at the corner of the angle plate. The only coords on the display are distance from machine zero and the g54 coords. I would like the display to show my g55 coords. or any other offset coords but it doesn't . I run a Fagor at work that woks this way but my Haas TM2 at my shop doesn't. I can't believe the engineers at Haas set things up this way.

Are you trying to set an offset or just see what the measurement difference is between G54 and the angle plate location or the measurement from machine home to the angle plate location?

My suggestion would put your xy coordinates in your offset and that would show you location from your xy machine zero. There is a way to go in to operator mode and see your location from the machine home without messing with your G54 offsets.

Shifting from one off set to another try g90 g55 x0. y0. (Start) in MDI -Chris-

The machine will move to that position but the x/y values on the machine show distance from g54. If you are just postioning manually this becomes confusing. There must be a way to do this. I can't believe Haas designed it this way.

Tim

That's when you go to the operator display and zero your X/Y fields.
Just to note, Fanuc doesn't work any different in that regard. The default coord is G54. You make a move in MDI to the G55 location, but you're still in G54. You then activate G55, zero you rcoords etc etc... You then hit Reset or get to the end of MDI and BANG!!! you're back in G54 coordinates, loosing the whole thing.

So use G55 X0 Y0
Goto operator page and zero the display.
OR!!!
Change setting 56: M30 resets default G. I wouldn't, but you may like it.

I use a couple of Co-ordinates set up to use like you want to.

I used G128 and G129,

They are my pallet change positions for pallet A and B.

So say I want move pallet A to the pallet change position, Or your vise corner.

All I type in is G128 X0 Y0 in MDI and then cycle start.

G00 is also a good idea in case you are in feed mode.

I also have a couple small programs written that with exchange pallets A to B and B to A. These programs have the G-Code X and Y position in them setting the G128 or G129 Co-Ordinates. Mainly in case I forget where that is. And you will forget where your Vise Corner is after awhile.

This system works for me.

But I still have some tweaking to do when I get some spare time.

Good Luck

Mohawk

Well I messed with this for about an hour yesterday. I decided that what I want to do the machine won't do. Unfortunatley the Haas manual isn't very good either. Wo What I'm going to do is leave g54 set at the vice corner. Set g55 for the same coords as g54. Then set g56 to the angle plate corner. USe MDi G00 G56 X0 Y0 Then reset G54 to those coords. When I need to get back to the vice corner I'll just MDI G55 X0Y0 then reset G54 back to these coords. Its a bit cumbersome but its better than having to add X/Y values to the G54 all day.

BTW this may have been suggested in someone's post above. Due to my tunnel vision trying to "make" the machine do something it can't I may have overlooked the post. It still is a little frustrating that the Fagor control works the way I envisioned the Haas should work

Thanks again everyone for your input....TimH

Tim, you CAN! make the Haas work the way the Fagor does!!!
That's what the setting 56 does!!!
The only problem with that is that you will need to make absolutely sure whenever you start or restart a program (MDI or MEM), it's header contains the default G and M codes the machine is booting up with initially. ( which is why I don't like it)
Nonetheless, I still don't see the difference in using the Work Coord display or the Operator Coord display in manual mode.
If you are in MDI or MEM mode, then you problem is even more curious as you just define G55, G56 or whatever in the beginning and the program will run in that coord.
For example, on my machine G110 is permanently set for the indexer. It's Y and Z never changes. If I manually do something there, I just type G110 G00 X0 Y0 Z1. A0, change to the Oper display, hit Origin on X Y and A, type Z1. ENTER and bang, all my manual moves are displayed on the screen with respect to the indexer.

Because G10 ain't gonna get you anything when you want to work manually.
Actually it ain't gonna get you anything over standard work coords unless you either run out of them or use probing and code your offsets into the program.

I still can't figure out the reasons of using G10 on a Haas over the standard work coords:confused:
I mean you still havta pick up the location of the darn fixtures throughout the table, so why not pick it up in World coord and leave it independent of the program.

I thought to check this today on my 94 VF3 and if I type G55 in mdi and hit cycle start the display changes to G55 and stays that way. It is odd that they changed it. The old way was handier IMO.

Now you have to do the Seymour trick and set the operator display when your in manual.

Back