What's new
What's new

TL3 tailstock.

anyjay

Plastic
I bumped into the tailstock while it was locked with the carriage on my TL3 and it has slid the protective shim on the bedway back about 1/2" does anybody know how to "slide" it back? Also is the tailstock supposed to be this hard to move? If so what is the solution?

Protective shim? I've got a TL-1 and I'm not sure what part you're talking about. Maybe they're different. Can you post a picture?

As for the tailstock: if it's anything like the TL-1, yes, it's miserable to move. The only hope is to keep it well greased. That makes it easier but it's never going to be like a box-way machine with a film of oil.

I will try to post a pic but it's basically a stainless replaceable runner that sits on top of the bedway and the carriage and tailstock ride on it. As for the tailstock the best i've come up with is to wrap a sling around the two and pull it along with the carriage. Seems a little backward for a $200,000 piece of automated machinery. Maybe it's just me!

The Queens gitt'n fat on that deal!

The Loonie aint that low! (Was even only 4-5 months ago)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It does seem a tad high. I will check with the machine's owner (My boss.) I'm certain he said that was the total but I could be wrong. Regardless the queen is a remarkable woman an inspiration and role model for us all and my tailstock is still bloody heavy:D

TL3-B + Options in CDN $ = $200K.

WOW!!!So, 90k US dollars for the tl-3b plus (at most) 30k US dollars for accessories equals 200k canadian??? That is wild.

I guess he(your boss) is only exaggerating a little, with the current exchange rate at 1.22 percent, that would be around 146k - plus tax, rigging, round up to the next even hundred "k"...hehehehe..

WOW!!!So, 90k US dollars for the tl-3b plus (at most) 30k US dollars for accessories equals 200k canadian??? That is wild.

I guess he(your boss) is only exaggerating a little, with the current exchange rate at 1.22 percent, that would be around 146k - plus tax, rigging, round up to the next even hundred "k"...hehehehe..

Add dutys yet.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Very well, I concede. I still believe, however, that for $140K CDN the tailstock could benefit from an improved design and I will not back down any further than that on this matter! I was merely attempting to illustrate a concern.
I think for future concerns I will consult my seven year old for more practical advice on this machine. :cheers:

Come on, Come on, anyjay. We are just having a little fun. I was just astonished at the price, and didn't mean anything toward you. I thought your boss was the one exaggerating it - probably to impress you and whoever else he tells that number to.

Anyway - I had a TL-1 and TL-2 at my last shop that I played with frequently. I can't remember the tailstocks being that hard to move around. Might be something going on that you should call your dealer about. Also, regarding the protective shim sliding (I can't remember such a thing), I would call the service department and run it by them. There may be a simple solution. Those guys are very helpful and will respond (from my experience) within a few hours.

Anyway - good luck and don't take us personally!:cheers:

Very well, I concede. I still believe, however, that for $140K CDN the tailstock could benefit from an improved design and I will not back down any further than that on this matter! I was merely attempting to illustrate a concern.
I think for future concerns I will consult my seven year old for more practical advice on this machine. :cheers:

If the machine went for 5 grand I would still expect the tailstock to slide fairly easily, my old 18" American Engine lathe has a tailstock so heavy you have to lock your feet against something and give a great big heave hoe to get it to budge...guess that is why they put a small hand crank on it which gets it to move effortlessly.

The stupid tailstock on my 400,000.00 Haas SL-10 gives me issues as well, slides easy once you get the chips out from under it and can get a straight yank on it, but that is next to impossible the way it's designed way back past the opening in the enclosure. Sorry couldn't resist.

I bumped into the tailstock while it was locked with the carriage on my TL3 and it has slid the protective shim on the bedway back about 1/2" does anybody know how to "slide" it back? Also is the tailstock supposed to be this hard to move? If so what is the solution?

anyjay, the "protective shim" that you're talking about is nothing more than a cover on the top of the linear guides that keeps chips out of the bolt holes. If I'm not mistaken, it is just snapped in place, there may be a small allen screw at the ends holding it in place.

We also have a TL3 and yes, the tailstock is very hard to move.

Chris

Back