What's new
What's new

SL-20 indexed wrong tool

flyboy9000

Plastic
Anybody have a Haas index the wrong tool. Had this happen out of the blue today. A tap ended up running into the part. Next part ran fine. Any idea's what would cause this to happen???

john

Had your control been "up" for an extended time? Maybe needs the cobwebs cleaned out? (power down)

I had a Seimens run one tool .030 deep the other day. Koodn't finger out what the deal was ... added .03 to the offset and ran the next batch. Woodn't'cha know it - the bloody thing was .030 too short now. :rolleyes5:

Ended up ratt back to where we started. :crazy:

'Putors DOO screw up!

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It is possible the switch or proximity sensor that detects tool position 1 when the turret is homed has malfunctioned. Every time the turret goes past tool 1 this is activated and in the case of a microswitch if it is gummed up with stuff it may have hung up; alternatively a chip may have got in somewher and false trigered the proximity sensor. You have to take off a bunch of covers to get at them down inside everything so it can be a pain.

I'll second what Hdpg said. If I had to state my biggest problem with all my Haas machines, it would be the proximity swithches. I have had one go on just about every machine in various places, X & Y axis is mills, Tool changers, Door safety, Z in the lathe, I keep a few on hand just in case one goes at a bad time, I'll just hardwire a new one in till I can get a replacement with the correct wiring, that and those little plug in relays.

That's a new one for me. I've had my fair share of anomalies but that hasn't been one of them.

Had a sidemount toolchanger on a mill do this a while back. I have to assume the system is the same, one switch for t1 and another to count the others. Evedently the t1 worked and the other was sticky and instead of counting one it missed a few because the switch was sticky ( followed by the big bang ). Two new switches and we are good as newish.

Back