What's new
What's new

Need haas post processor!

Rick Runciman

Plastic
Hi everyone,

I was recently laid off my job where we exclusively used Gibbs to program for our Anilam controls. I went for a trial yesterday, and it blew me away about the fact I didn't have a clue how to write g code for a haas vl 20 lathe.

Does anyone have a haas lathe vl series post processor for gibbs they can share with me so I can use it with gibbs to start studying how to do haas g code, and hopefully find a job.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks Rick

PostHASTE

Look in the posting folder under plug-ins and see if you have PostHASTE. Not sure with your shituation, or about that control in general, but if PostHASTE is installed on your version of Gibbs you should have a multitude of generic post templates for everything from routers to EDMs. The templates are easy to modify if you know a thing or two about posts. I know there are some Anilam templates but not sure if they're the ones you need.:cheers:

post haste

Thanks Russmill,

I have post haste, and have been informed a generic fanuc post will work for haas. I'm not a nerd and don't have a clue how to modify a post processor.

So while being in a laid off state, I'll keep looking and studying writing g code for haas. Seems so archaic. Software does it mucho faster. Some old school programmers who write g code might say software isn't real programming, just like an old school conventional machinist like me doesn't think CNC is real machining.

I don't see how a post processor is going to help you to learn G-code. All that's gonna' do is allow you to create code from Gibbs.

If it's the Haas control you're trying to learn, just download and read the Haas training manuals. They're free.

They outline each function individually, along with all of the preparatory codes. The lathe is a piece of cake. There are only a handful of commands to do almost everything. You should probably also download the Mill manuals and get familiar with them since a shop with a Haas lathe will almost definitely have a Haas mill.

http://haascnc.com/custserv_updates.asp#custserv

That was a good tip of grabbing the Haas Manuals.
I know I have them around my office somewhere and they are excellent training materials.

Another program you should grab is a program called Inplot from www.i-logic.com

This program is a backplot program that will read G-Code and you can see the tools move, and even see tool changes.

This too is an excellent training tool, Plus a great G-Code editor as it can display the codes in separate colors.

And it has loads of Help Files and tutorials on how to use it.

I use it all the time.

I first started using it back in the 90's when the company I work for bought a bankrupt company from Chicago that was a union shop and all the programs were sabotaged.

After a few days going blind hand editing G-Code I found this program and have used it ever since.

Good Luck to You,

Mohawk

Seems so archaic. Software does it mucho faster. Some old school programmers who write g code might say software isn't real programming, just like an old school conventional machinist like me doesn't think CNC is real machining.

I'm the opposite, I can manually program but am just away to start learning CAM. It's all very well to be able to import cad drawings and generate code that works great, but if you start a new job as a cnc man, and they pass you a drawing, show you the machine and say 'off you go then', it would be a bit of a bummer to stand and look at the control thinking 'fuck: how does this thing work?', or 'where's your pc with Mastercam?': especially if you claim to have worked on the same type of machines before.

That's why I'm learning cam even though my current job doesn't use it. I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up really quickly though. May the force be with you. :D

Back