What's new
What's new

Need help with M23 settings on New TL-3

glennb

Plastic
I've just recently bought a TL-3 for my business. We cater to the Oil & gas industry which requires alot of variations in threading capabilities. This particular thread uses a topping off insert so thread form is very critical. Needs to be 100%. I'm having a problem with thread pullout or thread chamfer (M23/24). Even with an M23 its still doing what i call ringing or clipping the last thread.Its pulling out of the thread but for about the last 1/4 of the last thread it cuts off some of the back of it. X & Z move simutaneously at the last thread when it goes to pull out, but then Z stops just before X does. Tried changing 95 & 96 settings. Even tried in parameters changing X extraction as much as 6000000. nothing seems to work. even Haas techs are puzzled. ANY help with this problem would be GREATLY appreciated:willy_nilly:

What thread/connection are you cutting? The problem I see with the TL's is the fact that the x axis rapid is way too slow for a large thread form. i have the same trouble with my TL-2. Luckily, most of my threads have reliefs behind them. Thread clips are a pain too. I had my axis rapids sped up and that helped a lot. Keep your RPM's low and the rapid at 100% Did you change the thread chamfer angle and length?

thanks Wolog. The type of thread is a hydril ph-6. If You're familiar with Hydril then you know its a 6 pitch 2-step thread.Its only .055 deep, but the thread form is part of the problem. both flanks of the thread are almost square.one side is 2 degrees the other is 5. Rotary shoulder,EU 8 round, or standard V threads are no problem because of the angles.
You are right about the x axis rapid being too slow. Had a Haas technician here today and we had chance some parameters in x & z acceleration then played with the 95 & 96 settings and problem solved.
this is my first cnc and only had it for about 2 months so your help is greatly appreciated.
As far as clips are concerned Make sure you turn thread chamfer off in intuitive or insert M24 in your program and like you said run it slow like 100 rpm max.take about .030 a pass. I use a .188 wide top notch insert to clip all my threads works very well.

GLENNB,

I am glad that was taken care of. I am familiar with those threads although I'd rather cut them in the SL-30. If you need some help, let me know. I am in Houma.

Hey WOLOG,

We're almost neighbors. I'm in Broussard. My wife has family in Houma off of Harding drive behind the old mall. How are things going down there? Lot's of shops here are struggling. We're doing very well due to low overhead. Just me and my wife. No employees. My son comes by after work and helps on the machines and my wife takes care of the office.Majority of our business is completion work and thats been keeping us busy.Hope things are good for you guys.
About the TL-3. Again you are right. The SL series dont have this problem. the G00 & G01 accelerations are alot higher.The TL's servos cant handle the higher rates especially the z axis due to being on a rack & pinion. We changed the x acceleration from 1000000 to 6000000. and the x max speed to 500000. What I found out today is that those changes made clipping alot faster. I can now clip at 250 to 300 rpm at .020 a pass and still get a fast pullout which also leaves a much better finish. Thanks again

Is this m23 problem?

Here a pic about the problem taht i got when i make a thread on TL-3 lathe, anybody knows what should i do to eliminate this trouble?

Attachments

• FINISH THREAD.JPG
    FINISH THREAD.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,130
Here a pic about the problem taht i got when i make a thread on TL-3 lathe, anybody knows what should i do to eliminate this trouble?

There is a setting in SETTINGS that allows you to retract at 45 degrees or 0/90. Looks like its retracting at 45. Set it to 0. Also, possibly add to your X start point value to clear the threads on retract.

Hey WOLOG,

We're almost neighbors. I'm in Broussard. My wife has family in Houma off of Harding drive behind the old mall. How are things going down there? Lot's of shops here are struggling. We're doing very well due to low overhead. Just me and my wife. No employees. My son comes by after work and helps on the machines and my wife takes care of the office.Majority of our business is completion work and thats been keeping us busy.Hope things are good for you guys.
About the TL-3. Again you are right. The SL series dont have this problem. the G00 & G01 accelerations are alot higher.The TL's servos cant handle the higher rates especially the z axis due to being on a rack & pinion. We changed the x acceleration from 1000000 to 6000000. and the x max speed to 500000. What I found out today is that those changes made clipping alot faster. I can now clip at 250 to 300 rpm at .020 a pass and still get a fast pullout which also leaves a much better finish. Thanks again

Dude...when you talk about clipping threads, you mean like...blunting the starting thread?
You setup a grooving tool and run it as a threader? I always did this by hand...but I will try to program it in.

Back