What's new
What's new

1MB program memory for VF-2?

Eric U

Hot Rolled
Hi,

I'm about to order a new VF-2. Is the standard 1MB of program memory enough? The upgrade to 16MB for $1100 seems kind of steep, especially when a 16GB flash drive is under $50 now. Most of my programs won't be 3D contouring, but I will have some. What kind of part would it take to max out that 1MB?

Thanks,
Eric

Get the 16 megs.

If you don't your first part will be 1.2 megs.

I've used 2 megs on a front and back side 3d part.

It's also nice to be able to keep programs in the control if you do a lot of repeat jobs.

If you want to FNC from the USB port only, then it doesn't matter how much onboard memory the control has, but if you want to load programs into memory so you can edit at the control, obviously the amount of memory has to be greater than the size of the program.

I like the 16 meg option myself, but I do have a question for those that do the DNC or FNC: how much grief do you get when doing a mid-program restart on a big file that is sitting on the flashdrive? Is that possible? Just curious.

At $1100 for 15MB, you're getting off cheap. For my 93 VF-0 it's $2100 for a new CPU board to get a whopping 1MB. Can't field upgrade the memory or firmware on mine. Also, can't add a floppy drive unless I upgrade the cpu board.

I like the 16 meg option myself, but I do have a question for those that do the DNC or FNC: how much grief do you get when doing a mid-program restart on a big file that is sitting on the flashdrive? Is that possible? Just curious.
Program Restart is not available when running off the USB, however you can start at a tool change with no problems.

We recieved a new TL-2 lathe and have a 2006 TM-2 mill. To keep both machines with the same software we would have to have a board upgrade. If you wanted to upgrade board twice the cost of software, so we took the software up-grade. Recieved the board and memory up-grade to 16 meg then recieved credit for the board.
Ask about software up-grade and recieve the board for free.

Back