What's new
What's new

The dreaded Jog Lock

John Morton

Plastic
The first day I ran my TM1 I discovered something I didn't like: the Jog Lock button. I was jogging around in X, Y and Z, keeping my eye on the spindle position and tapping the axis buttons by feel with my right hand. Inevitably I managed to tap Jog Lock inadvertently, followed by "-Z", sending the quill zooming down into the table. (Fortunately there was a long cutter loosely held in the holder, and a piece of wood on the table, giving me time to hit the e-stop before damaging anything.)

I really don't see the need for Jog Lock. I would like to power the feeds around while keeping my head in close so I can watch, and I have gotten used to doing this on other machines. My Haas rep says you can't disable Jog Lock with a parameter, so I guess my only choice is to glue a cover over the button.

Does anyone actually like this treacherous feature?

John

I use it for squareing material prior to machining if it needs it, but if that face will be machined later I just plow over it using the pulse wheel. So yes, I use jog lock, but rarely. I could easily do without it.

It's yet to bite me, but I'm sure that day is coming.

I agree with Matt. I use it all the time, and while I've come close to jogging a facemill into a big chunk of steel, it hasn't happened yet...:rolleyes5:

I use it a lot but I agree it is treacherous. Not as bad now as it used to be because on early machines if you are in Jog Lock X and you miss the the Jog Lock key when you go to turn it off and hit the Z- key the Z axis starts its way down; that can cause a few grey hairs.

What is treacherous is that same key location on the lathe. It is not Jog Lock it is Rapid and if you are working between machines and push this expecting Jog Lock things can very interesting.

How about other 'treacherous keys'?

DELETE right alongside UNDO. You select a block of program for renumberiong or some other editing; you de-select with UNDO but if you have big fingers and hit DELETE bye bye selected block. That can get frustrating.

I guess I see a gradual improvement in this sort of thing. Haas does seem to refine their products rather than make frequent redesigns.

The delete/undo problem Hdpg mentions is not just key placement but software design. Why are machine tools so far behind computers in simple conveniences? How about levels of software "undo" in the program editors, to recover from inadvertent key presses? How about 1 Gb of memory in the stock machine, adding $100 to the list price? My computer has these features, but I suspect most of us wouldn't mind having these basic conveniences at the machine.

John

I used it all the time before I got the NEWER remote jog handle that allows you to have continual feed without the crappy jerky jog handle issues. I can't think of the last time I used it now. Must have been a couple of years now, since I only have the one machine, and it has the newer remote handle - which is pretty awesome if I say so myself.

I actually liked the jog lock.

One thing everyone needs to be aware of on a Haas. It is 100% buttons. Very easy to screw up. I've read about guys pushing the tool release button, and dropping tools, and this thread, and a whole bunch of other issues with having all buttons, but it is a really excellent and easy to understand control, but use your eyes when you are pushing stuff.

I used to love using jog lock. On our '08 VF2 switching directions is locked out. You know like cutting in x, then hit Y then Y moves. Now you have to restart jog lock for each direction. I wish they would just make you re-lock it for Z. I like to use it for cutting jaws and such.

So,does this "jog lock" button lock the jog movement on as opposed to locking it off?

Yes, it is the center of the buttons for axis direction and when Jog Lock is pushed first then whatever axis is pushed locks on. The feed rate is controlled by a second set of buttons for 100ipm, 10ipm and 1ipm. Pushing Jog Lock again turns it off.

It is a very handy feature but on early machines it has a serious glitch that Jog Lock stays on if you change the axis so if you are going along in X or Y and happen to bump Z when you reach to turn Jog Lock off you can get a big crunch.

On later machines it will not change axis it turns off when a different axis button is pressed.

Yes, it is the center of the buttons for axis direction and when Jog Lock is pushed first then whatever axis is pushed locks on. The feed rate is controlled by a second set of buttons for 100ipm, 10ipm and 1ipm. Pushing Jog Lock again turns it off.

You can also fine tune the speed with the feed overrides 10% at a time and on the newer ones you can use the handle control feature.

Joglock on the Haas

I used the joglock on my Haas all the time. It's a great tool for squaring up a piece of material. If there are more that about 3 pieces, I will sit down at my GibbsCam and make a quick program and do both ends and the top surface.

Last edited:
I use the jog lock for all sorts of quick applications, such as drilling a coolant drain hole in a fixture, cleaning up the top surface of a part, vise jaws, etc. The “very serious glitch” on earlier machines that made the jog lock stay on and change directions was actually nice for face milling in my opinion. Missing the jog lock key to turn it off and hitting the –Z is not an issue if you use the feedhold button to stop the jog lock feed. Hitting the feedhold button does the same thing as pressing jog lock a second time; it stops the feed. Once you get used to using a CNC mill in the “manual” mode if you will, you can make all sorts of simple parts using the jog lock button. “That sure is a feature I wouldn’t want on any machine”, well, many manual milling machines have a lever that makes the z feed down too. In fact, my car has a lever that makes it go backwards as well. Lastly, I use the jog lock for indicating long parts on my VF-9/50, your arm gets tired cranking that handle for 84 inches.

That sure is a feature I wouldn`t want on any machine.Not that I`ll ever have a Haas.
Mark.

Have you ever used power feed on a manual mill?
Facing a blank, squaring a blank, mill a step in the jaw...
You don't know what it is but you're sure wouldn't want it. :nutter:

As for the Haas guys, I wish there was a switch so we can change the button to RAPID when needed.
Also, if you really want to go nuts, you can vary the feedrate override from 1% to 999% with the hadle feed control.

In fact, my car has a lever that makes it go backwards as well.
:D
That is priceless!

I use the JogLock quite a bit for simple things like jaws and indicating long parts.

I do wish there was a way to lock out Z if you wanted.

It is pretty handy IMO.

I agree with SD on the rapid thing. It is one of the only cool things about the Fanuck control:rolleyes5:

Arb

Haas lathes don't have joglock, they have RAPID instead, just like Fanuc.
That's why I thought it would be cool to make it switchable.

Arb

Haas lathes don't have joglock, they have RAPID instead, just like Fanuc.
That's why I thought it would be cool to make it switchable.

Things that make you go "Hmmm".
That is a little surprising considering how "The Same" Haas keeps their controls. It is odd that they would not have combined both and put that combination on both the lathes and the mills.

Back