What's new
What's new

Any had to replace their spindle motor wires?

Perry Harrington

Titanium
I got a "output phase loss" error on my drive today. Right away I thought about how many trips the head has taken and what the fatigue limit of the copper was. The PDF confirmed my suspicions. I got up in there and it was looking aged, the rubber had some small cracking and it wasn't supple. I didn't bother to ohm it out, just started yanking. It had 14AWG cable, but all I could get was 12AWG SOOW, which is close enough in physical size to fit.

Just wondering if anyone else has performed this maintenance on their machine?

Mine is a 93 VF-0 with a 5HP Lincoln motor and a Magnetek GPD 515 drive, which was replaced in 1997 by the prior owner.

I have had many other wires come apart in the HAAS head from fatigue. So I am not surprised. I wish they would make the arc movement of the wire loom slightly larger. It would help wire life a lot.

It is a very common problem. Just last week I had a HAAS give me a low air signal whenever the head would come down. WHen the head came up the alarm went away. I knew right away it the the cable going to the pressure sensor ( located in the head).

Back