What's new
What's new

max turn diameter on Sl-20

hardcore

Plastic
Has anybody tried to cut 11.00 diameter on their machine? I was thinking I could weld a 1" bar on my cutter to extend it out 2" past the tool holder and about even with the o.d. of the turret this would get me past the length of the part which is 1.750 long, it is basically a flange. Normally I would pass this up but desperate times call for desperate measures. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Hardcore :willy_nilly:

I haven't checked on our SL-20's, but as long as the part will physically fit in the lathe without interference, you can greatly enlarge your turning envelope in X with an "L" shaped tool. 10 years ago I turned a ridiculously large (musta been close to 2 ft. dia.) aluminum part on an HL-4 using a brazed carbide groove tool 90 degree welded onto a 1" shank.
As long as you can finagle some tool clearance before you run out of travel in X, it can be done.
What's the material you're turning?
Be very careful about any clearance issues when indexing.
(BTW, If I remember correctly, I did this turning in back, close to the way covers. I just saw that tool last week, so I'll look at it tomorrow.)

John the material is mild steel burnouts, it should be fun getting past the first 1/8" they would come in several different o.d. sizes, the biggest would be 11.375 but most are around 11.00", I am going to look for one of those holders, sounds like it could be just what I nead.
Something else I was worried about is what happens when I tell it to turn say11.475 will I get an alarm for overtravel, or error seing as I am way beyond what the machine was intened for? Thanks again, Hardcore

The compact GT-20 takes up only 8' x 4.5' (2.4 x 1.4 m) of floor space, yet offers a generous 11" x 12" (279 x 305 mm) max capacity. The machine provides a maximum part swing of 13" (330 mm) over the front apron, with an 9.25" (235 mm) swing over the cross slide. The X axis provides 6" (152 mm) of travel with 2400 lb (10,676 N) of thrust, and the Z axis provides 12" (305 mm) of travel with 3700 lb (16,458 N) of thrust. Rapids are 710 ipm (18 m/min) in both axes.

The Haas-designed, 20-hp (14.9 kW) (peak) vector drive system gives the GT-20 spindle speeds up to 4000 rpm (with hydraulic chuck option), and peak-torque of 154 ft-lb (209 Nm). On-the-fly wye-delta switching delivers higher torque and a wide constant-power band for constant surface speed cuts.

The base configuration of the GT-20 has a maximum speed of 3000 rpm, and does not include a chuck, hydraulic system or tool turret. The machine’s A2-6 spindle nose has a 3" (76 mm) bore and accepts a variety of optional through-hole chucks and collets. The cross slide accepts gang-style tooling. The Haas control features advanced tool management, single-button features, 15" color LCD monitor and a USB port.

I don't think you have enough horse power.....

JB
:cheers:

Hardcore

You'll only get an overtravel message if you in fact overtravel the machine.
As far as programmed diameter, it does not care. If it can get there, then it will get there.
And yes, you should be able to swing 11", tough may need some elbow grease to get the tool to fit.

Sorry hardcore.

SL-20 DETAILS

Haas Automation’s complete line of CNC lathes is designed to meet the needs of modern machine shops, now and long into the future. The SL Series offers a wide range of capacities, and our space-saving Big Bore option increases capacity further while retaining the original footprint. The SL-20, with a max turning capacity of 10.3" x 20" (262 x 508 mm) and an 8.3" (210 mm) chuck, has a bar capacity of up to 2.0" (51 mm).

Haas high-performance turning centers also feature massive headstock castings with symmetric ribs for rigidity and thermal stability; on-the-fly wye-delta switching for peak performance throughout the rpm range; and embedded chip trays and high-volume coolant systems for efficient chip removal. The Haas control features advanced tool management, single-button features, 15" color LCD monitor and a USB port. Haas has raised CNC turning to new levels of reliability, ease and productivity.

Looks like 10.3 max dia. How much horse power do you have?

Sim those look cool, what are they for and how did you get past the length?

Thanks, I took the job largerly due to the coolness factor.

They are Capstans for a new 130' Pilot Boat. Capstans are those things that winch the lines in, so other then the bore and keyway all the other tolerances where loose and finish was not critical. But still held everything within a few thousanths and offered a beautiful finish.

"Past the Length"?? Not sure what your refering to.

SIM
Was your tool mounted in front of the turret? Or just barely extended past the o.d. of the turret. I dont have the newer euro style turret, so I would have to mount in front say 2", enough to clear my part wich is 1.750 long.

No salesman here. I'm unemployed right now. But we tried to turn a 15" dia. steel part last year on our kia and didn't have enough horse power. our kia has 20 hp too. It was a dovetail grove.

JB
:cheers:

A while back there was an articale in MMS. This shop had a mori with a 10"? chuck, probably 14" max turn dia and they where turning something like 20 inches. They made a specialty tool holder. It clamped into two toolholder positions across the front of the turret. Basically it got the toolholder 4-5" toward the center of the turret. I may not be making any sense. As far as HP, you may run short, keep the depth of cut down.

20 hp doesn't mean much, its torque you need. Probably you'll need a 4:1 gear reduction (if available) to make that spindle haul much ass, because you'll otherwise be running so low in the spindle motor's torque curve that it won't develop its rated torque. If you can find a tool that will stand maybe 800 sfm instead of 400sfm, your spindle will pull better.

SIM
Was your tool mounted in front of the turret? Or just barely extended past the o.d. of the turret. I dont have the newer euro style turret, so I would have to mount in front say 2", enough to clear my part wich is 1.750 long.

Tool block mounted to the front of the turret with a boring bar for turning the OD down until I was able to use standard holders in the turret. Couldn't make time, but most due to low hp. But after the first piece I hit the button and walked away untill it was done. For three pieces it was fine

A while back there was an articale in MMS. This shop had a mori with a 10"? chuck, probably 14" max turn dia and they where turning something like 20 inches. They made a specialty tool holder. It clamped into two toolholder positions across the front of the turret. Basically it got the toolholder 4-5" toward the center of the turret. I may not be making any sense. As far as HP, you may run short, keep the depth of cut down.

I thought of that article when I read this post. He had a long square bar clamped or bolted in 2 opposing stations across the turret, might have been attached to the side as well. He was turning wheels and it reached around the side of the blank to turn the drop center of the wheel.

I should mention I had to run in stages:
rough OD's, pop hole in center Hog ID,
remove long tooling, hog OD.
Finish back face, OD and bore, less one face
Flip and finish front

or something to that effect.

Back