What's new
What's new

HAAS probing questions

Perry Harrington

Titanium
I have a VF-0 and the control has several references to probe settings. I haven't seen anything in the manual about using a probe with the machine, other than "these M codes would be appropriate for probing". The control has settings for probe offset and diameter, but no other mention.

I have a Renishaw TP1 probe and would like to use it. I presume the external M-code (M21) interface would be used for probing, but I haven't seen any guides or documentation on probing with the Haas. I presume there are some stock macros available for probing different types of features.

Is your machine set-up for probing? Is there a receiver eye in the machine? Hit Edit>Prgrm Convers 3 times and see if it takes you to the Quick Code Probe programming page, if not call your HFO. HTH

I guess I should've been more specific. This is a 93 machine with software v4.18. This doesn't have VQC or any conversational programming features. That's why the quandry; there are settings and hooks, but that's it, no other reference in the manual or software.

If the machine has the SKIP input option installed, you have to load the set of meauring macros (for example Easy Probe from Renishaw).

TP1 is ment to be used on manual CMM machines. It comes with cable connected to 5 pin connector. Pins 1 and 5 are of your interest - this is probe skip signal. You have to run the cable to the skip input in the control. Of course you can clamp it in BT holder, but because of the cable no fully automatic tool change is possible.

Not sure if you've got this resolved yet or not, but the TP1 is not really the probe to use on a CNC although it would work. Since your machine is Pre-2000, you can't buy WIPS for it from Haas, otherwise that would be a great deal. Your looking for a Renishaw OMP40, OMP400 or MP700 probe with an OMI or OMM/MI12 interface. You will need the PROMAC option turned on or purchase Skip and Macro B seperatly....about 2k. The machine already has 24v power supply to tap into, but you may need a relay. You'll need someone to install your probe unless you are fairly comfortable with wiring and routing. You will also need to buy the connector for skip Haas PN 33-90103B. This will give you all the hardware and options you'll need. You may already have Skip and Macro B....call Haas with your machine number and they can tell you. Or you can simply execture the comand G91 G31 X10.0 F50.0 from MDI. If your machine accepts the command and moves, you have Skip. You can do a #600=1. from MDI to check Macro B. If it accepts the command, you have it.

You might even find a Renishaw hardware kit on Ebay and pay a few thousand for it. New the OMP400 or MP700 hardware is about $12,500.00 including hardware, software and RDI installation. Don't buy a Marposs or Blum system for a Haas.

Hope that helps.

Back