What's new
What's new

Spindle noise while stopping

knc

Aluminum
I've got a 07 VF4, 7500 rpm with gear box. Yesterday a mysterious noise :(showed up about 4 hours into the day. When the spindle stops and when the rpm changes from 7500 to 4600 their is a momentary noise. It is hard to explain what it sounds like, it is fairly loud, sounds like something may be loose, rattleing and barking. I do not know what kind of brake Haas uses, if any. No alarms and the finnish on the parts is great. I don't believe it is a spindle bearing. Any thoughts or ideas?

ken

There are no mechanical brakes on the Haas.

Your noise could be from the drive belt from the gearbox to the spindle. They have the ability to make about every noise imaginable. :willy_nilly:

It would not hurt to check you oil level in your gearbox just in case.;)

As the motor spins down it turns into a generator and they pit the power into the resistors in a cage or box on the top right of the electronics cabinet making it stop. It might be an interesting experiment to run it up to speed and hit the power off, it should spin down without the braking and see what it sounds like. I kind of lean tward a bad drive belt, it is a cogged type and the teeth can get off causing some funny sounds.

Back